22 liner for my 45-70

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

22 liner for my 45-70

Post by Glen Ring »

I must confess my TOTAL lack of knowledge about 22 Liners in Center fire single shots.
I have a Miroku 45-70 BPCR rifle. Is it possible to put a 22 liner in it , temporarily, and shoot.
I have NO knowledge if or how this can be accomplished.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
GrumpyBear

Re: 22 liner for my 45-70

Post by GrumpyBear »

Glenn give Crossno's a call in Arcadia,OK. They make liners.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Shiloh sells Crossno liners which will fit your rifle perfectly. They actually work better in a highwall than they do in my Shiloh Sharps rifles as they don't hit the sight base when sliding them in.

I would advise buying a short length of thin wall brass tubing to slip in after the liner is in place. The liner is shorter than the barrel and adding the brass tube at the end helps keep the bore clean. When I shot my C. Sharps 1885 without the brass tube I'd always get a hard ring of fouling at the end of the Crossno liner. I added a couple of pieces of tape to the brass tube to make it a nice fiction fit in the bore.

Chris.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Best solution is to get a dedicated .22 rifle 8) . As a Martini aficionado, pretty easy for me. I do like my BSA 12/15, it will perform quite well out to 200. Most probably further too, but then the sight won't allow it - not enough elevation. Ome day I'll add a serious tang sight to the rifle...
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

martinibelgian wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:39 am Best solution is to get a dedicated .22 rifle 8) . As a Martini aficionado, pretty easy for me. I do like my BSA 12/15, it will perform quite well out to 200. Most probably further too, but then the sight won't allow it - not enough elevation. Ome day I'll add a serious tang sight to the rifle...
Martini's, having no exposed hammer, are not legal BPCR rifles. Same with any Farquharson-style action, sadly. As old or older as many of the legal actions we shoot in BPCR. The Farquharson dates from 1872.
Glenn
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

not to mention the Sharps 1878
Duhhhh
beltfed/arnie
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Glenn,
As per Martini Belgium's comment, one of those Martini 12/15 club rifles would be perfect for your grandson
to practice with regardless if it is illegal for BPCR Sillywet. Best way to really learn marksmanship is with a 22 rifle.
NO recoil to get in the way of the basics. There are usually some listed on Gunbroker.
They have a relatively short stock which should fit him even if he is on the small side just now.
Mine is Very accurate out to 200yds. They can also be drilled and tapped an you could then mount a Lyman STS
Unertl or other scope on it.
That being said about the Martini 12/15, I have seen some very good shooting with the big guns with liner. Crossno and Shaver.
The first perfect 40 in our winter "indoor/outdoor" 50yds to 200yds gong matches was done with a Brg BPCR 40-65 with a liner.
I later got a 40 with my Martini 12/15.
I would definitely go with a Crossno.
beltfed/arnie
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

I don't know what they cost nowadays in the US, but the price difference with a liner might just be not too much.
And most of them are really accurate.
Simple, foolproof mechanics, milled from solid stock, made to last.
And if you put an oil finish' on the wood, you might be surprised....
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

For the money the liners are a great deal. If Glen had also asked about a dedicated rifle then I'd recommend doing that, and getting the liner anyway.

My CPA will easily out shoot my Crossno liner with most ammo, but the Crossno can be quite good once you find the right ammo.

This target was with RWS Rifle Match. My liner also likes RWS R50, Federal Gold Medal Match ( the good subsonic suuff, not their target line ), and Lapua Center X. I get a lot of misfires with the current lots of Eley that I have. I think that's mostly because of the little bit of excess headspace on my CSA highwall.

The target below is at 100m. Groups with cheap ammo like SK Standard Plus are approximately twice the size on average.

Chris.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Why buy a liner Glenn and ruin a perfect excuse for another rifle? :lol: Are the rules for .22 BPCR (about exposed hammers) the same?
I'm a lover of Martini Cadets as well. If you can find a Parker Hale tang sight (they make a couple of models that fit cadet's) they work perfectly for competition an fit right on back of the action, saddle style, on top of the short back of action, stock socket.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Yes, Mike the rules prohibit the Martini actions. They mirror big bore BPCR Silhouette for the most part. I've owned a Martini. I couldn't shoot it, as I'm left-handed and the rifle is a late model with a high right handed comb. Couldn't find a left handed stock and chose to sell it rather than make a stock. That rifle is owned by a friend, who recently shot some amazing scores with it. I wouldn't mind owning one again. I kinda wish I could find a centerfire Peabody. It is BPCR legal. Martini with a hammer.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Shutinlead

Post by Shutinlead »

Glen,
The advice given here on the liners is sound, last I looked Shiloh had them in stock, Crossno may have a wait... I make them for myself and have my students make them for the high walls they build, they are not the same as a dedicated 22 of high quality, but with a little experimenting and tweaking, you can make them shoot very well. I recently built one for a '74 I'm building in 50-90, the rifle isn't completely ready to go yet but I had to take it to the range Sunday with the liner installed and give it a run. I ended up with a broken sear spring and had to jiggle things with the hammer pulled back until the sear fell in to place, repeating this process six times was enough. :( I really like having the liners for the different rifles, gives me a chance to jerk triggers and get the feel of the rifle, even practice at my indoor when the weather doesn't cooperate.
Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

How does the extraction work on those .22 liners ?
Woody

Post by Woody »

Hand held screwdriver. Crossno sent one with their liner. Hey it works just fine.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Does the extractor have to be removed in the 74 to insert the liner or is there just a clearance slot for it to over ride?