Montana Vintage Arms

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kmk

Montana Vintage Arms

Post by kmk »

First time posting here. Did a lot of mid-range shooting in the 80's through the 90's, in Wa., Oregon and B.C. with some success. Been lurking around reading post from 2003 forward. Up to 2017 now. Things have really changed since I was shooting comp. The last year or so I have gotten back into shooting these rifles again and having a great time. Hope to find some matches to attend this season Recently I was able to buy an un-fired John King built Borchardt in 45-90, built around 1998.. (score!) It had an MVA long range Soule sight that the seller said he bought for the rifle, but never used. The elevation slide was loose and the windage had some backlash. I couldn't find any markings on it so I sent some photos to MVA to see if it was their sight. They said the base was not theirs, but the staff was and to send it to them. What I got back was a completely re-built sight at no charge! Beings how it was purchased over 20 years ago and I was not the original buyer, this is really super customer service. What a class outfit. Learning a lot reading this forum. Thanks, Ken Kurfurst Buckley, Wa.
gunlaker

Re: Montana Vintage Arms

Post by gunlaker »

MVA is top notch!

Chris.
gus65

Post by gus65 »

Top notch indeed!
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

That's one of the reasons Jeanne and I are going to all MVA scopes and sights.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Just received another MVA rear sight in the mail today. This one for my 1886 lever. All my rifles sport MVA irons and or scopes. (Well almost) I've got a non-MVA Fecker on my Winchester 52 and a Busnell on my AR.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
scopelady

Post by scopelady »

I, too, shoot only MVA scopes and paraphernalia. JC takes excellent care of me. Wouldn’t change for anything.
Jen
"Remember the first rule of gunfighting.....have a gun."
-Col. Jeff Cooper
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Good ta See ya, Jen-sen.

Hope to see ya this summer.

Kenny
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

Hi Ken! I was born in Enumclaw and grew up in Wilkeson. I have several MVA sigtht and scopes, they sure do make great stuff.

There are / were lots of matches to shoot that 45-90, if you're interested. Creedmoor Matches at the Rattlesnake Range near Richland, WA and Buffalo Gong Matches at the COSSA range east of Bend Oregon. Google the range names to find their website for details.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

This is why I will never use anything but MVA, I have the exact same sight and did what you did with the same result. A screw broke while mounting my most recent object of my fascination, phone call 2 new screws in a few days .
31C8AC53-3560-4E25-9226-1645F2C4885A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I spoke with MVA on Friday to order a base for a Ballard and was told they will be fully back open on Monday. I've got lots of MVA sights and a B5 scope. I was impressed with their customer service in 2018 when a shooter from MI had some scope problem that could not be fixed on the spot. They took a brand new scope out of the box and mounted it on his rifle so he could shoot the match and told him they would ship his scope back to him when completed and then he could return the new scope. Now that's service!
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
OldVarkWSO

Post by OldVarkWSO »

Hi all -

First post here as well - have been lurking for years the same as Ken. I too bought a used rifle with a well used older MVA sight which needed some attention. The barrel knob for windage adjustment was loose. I called the shop and they told me to send it in. Got it back in less than two weeks - as good as new. No charge - first rate customer service! Last week I ordered my second MVA scope - already thinking about my third one!

Cheers -

OVW
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, I have one of their 23 inch scopes and Silhouette mounts on a Low Wall .22 BPCR and could not be happier. Their quality is a perfect match for Shiloh rifle quality. Both are top shelf in every direction!
CaptnJack

Post by CaptnJack »

Tuesday I ordered MVA A scope 8 power with Malcolm Silhouette mounts for my 34" 45-70 C.Sharps they said I will see it in about a month.
Jimhp02

Post by Jimhp02 »

Have a Shiloh Sharps 1874 45-70 on order (I also have a used one I purchased) and getting MVA Soule tang and front sights shipped directly to Shiloh for it from MVA. Very excited. They are also going to drill and tap the barrel for an MVA scope.
I purchased a 24” diameter gong which I have set up on my short range (250-300 yards) on my Farm. Figure I will start close and slowly move further and further away from the gong.
I don’t know why I am having so much fun but at 69 I’m ok with not knowing and just enjoying myself.

I am very impressed with the service and advice from MVA and Shiloh.

JimP