Cartridge case dryer

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kwilliams

Cartridge case dryer

Post by kwilliams »

Anyone care to make a recommendation as to which brand to buy and how well do they work? I see Frankford, Lyman and Hornady. Are they all Chinese? Been using the wife's oven, but I rather do it in the shop.
thanks
kw
Jim Kidwell

Re: Cartridge case dryer

Post by Jim Kidwell »

You can find very inexpensive counter top ovens on eBay. FWIW............
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

lyman cyclone dryer. I can put 1000- 233's in it, 1400-40cal, 1000-45acp, 500-45-100's, 500+-45-70s. I turn the knob to 1hr and let it run. they have never been wet after. Quiet, easy to use.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

I use the drying racks from Sagebrush Outfitters.

https://www.sageoutfitters.com/catalog/ ... 455410.htm
Woody

Post by Woody »

In the winter, my wood stove. In the summer, the sun. Another solution looking for a problem.

There are better ways for me to spend my hard earned money.

If I really need to have them dry quickly, I blow compressed air into the cases. That will take care of 99.9 percent of the water. Nature will handle the rest.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Well Woody, your reply was truly non helpful to my question. Been drying brass in the sun and on the woodstove for 45 yrs. now thinking maybe I would like something else..........because I can afford it.
kw
Woody

Post by Woody »

Your choice.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
BFD

Post by BFD »

I just boxed up 2 Frankfort case driers for auction last Friday. My Father-in-law liked them.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Toaster ovens are relatively cheap,even more so if you get them at Goodwill or a thrift store. FWIW
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

I never thought about a toaster oven.....that could work just fine too.
kw
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Compressed air and then to the tumbler. Canned air works in a pinch.
Sam
BFD

Post by BFD »

Presumably, most of you have a media tumbler or sifter to get the walnut or corn cob media out of your cases after dry-tumbling. If you run your wet cases through that sifter/tumbler, you will knock out most of the water. Your cases, especially primer pockets, will now dry much more quickly in the sun or dryer or basement table in my case.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

You guys are over complicating this. Once you dump them out of the tumbler & shake out the media under clean water, just stack them in an old frying pan & turn on the heat. Within 5 minutes or less the water will evaporate. When the steam stops coming out of the cases, it’s easy to see, turn off the heat and move the pan to a cold portion of the stove top. Come back in 30 minutes and the cases will be cool enough to handle, or aim a small fan at them if you’re in a hurry. Since water turns to steam at 212 degrees there’s no concern about overheating or annealing the cases unless you walk away and forget about them. Then shame on you. The following photo has 60 cases in the pan. I have a larger pan that will hold up to 200. The drying time is about the same. The process is simple, easy and very quick.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

A toaster oven would seem a relatively easy way to solve the issue although I've never been in that much of a hurry. In summer...the cases dry in less than 40 minutes in the sun...the cases too hot to handle courtesy of solar power. I have used the household oven on occasion..usually after its been used for cooking.. and still warm. The radiant heat remaining in the oven even an hour later is plenty warm enough to dry cases. At the moment though...it seems I have about nine months or more between shoots :cry: ...so the cases are usually dry by then. :wink:

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

Just for fun, I’ll try a rice cooker. They turn off automatically.