LYMAN BLACK POWDER GOLD BULLET LUBE

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Re: LYMAN BLACK POWDER GOLD BULLET LUBE

Post by desert deuce »

Congratulations fellow shooters, especially bobw, in making a new shooter feel comfortable coming on the forum seeking information. I am sure he feels really welcome.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Of all the advice offered, Bob gave him the best. He essentially said for him to get back to the basics and quit trying every snake oil concoction known to the smokeless world to solve a black powder problem. FWIW, I sent this fellow a PM with my phone number and told him to call me for the answer to his problem. Has he called me? Nope. If a guy won't invest in a phone call to get help, he needs to have a real good BS filter to figure out what's what from the feeding frenzy that sometimes passes for advice to a new shooter on here. He hasn't called, for help, let him suffer. rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Jaybuckler
I had the very same problem with my Winchester when I was using Lyman Black Gold. I got tons of " advice" and didn't know what to try or who's advice was right.

I made sure I had good alloy ..20 parts pure lead to one part tin...and then started pan lubing with SPG. No sizing on my bullets that dropped from Lyman mold 457132. I shoot Pyrodex slightly compressed with a Walter's wad. I roll crimp very slightly and use federal 215 magnum primers.

That combination works for me and my problems went away. I clean after every animal and clean very well after each match. I don't know if you use a blow tube or swab out between shots..but if it's the latter I would be suspicious of what liquid concoction you use on a wet patch.

What works well for me may not for you so try several cures for your condition...who knows, your open mind and willingness to experiment might find something new that will help all of us.
I hope we all can shoot the Internationals In Raton this year. My wife shoots with me ( she's better than I am ) and we'll be the couple cutting up and having fun. Come by and introduce yourself. Good Luck.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Charlie, might be later this summer to get to Baker or July if they haven't canceled the Mt 1000. Don't need the corona virus anymore than greaser caused leading. Local club has a 1 time a month 1 2 3,&400 yard shoot I can go to without too much risk. I retired 2 weeks a go,but still working 2 days a week asphalt testing so they don't fall behind before my replacement comes on. Looking around for a travel trailer, working on the yard, boats ,casting bullets, fixing things that need to be fixed. MY ADVICE to the new guy will fix his problem also or maybe he should just switch to DGL or SPG.Been my experience on this forum that when a lot of people want advice right up till they don't wanna do what you suggest, it somehow related to the strength of preconceived ideas not their desire to suceed. New guy can do whatever he wants, I gave him an honest answer and anybody don't like that tough shit. Bobw
bobw
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Waiting on the pictures 🤔
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I look back on programs or disciplines I simply walked away from and it was because of Comments from the all knowing "Grand pompas" . I hope That shooter asking for advice finds someone's solution that will work for him/her.

I have only been shooting BPCR for a couple of years and find the vast majority of shooters very helpful but most have different opinions on what is the right way of doing things.

I would advise any new shooter starting this sport to ask for tips and help from the winners . The winners have it figured out and most are very willing to help.

When my groups start opening up I RE-READ everything I have that was written by Mike Venturino and Wayne Mcleran..Texas mac is Wayne's handle on here. Message him and I'm sure you'll get a quick and knowledgeable, response. Most are good guys and will help.
semtav

Post by semtav »

I'd pay attention to what Desert Deuce said (in his first post).

I'm not as articulate as bobw 8) but thats why I switched to PP.
Got tired of dealing with lead.
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

Hello Jay,

Zack gave you some good, if brief advise.

Here's a good article written by Lee Shaver, it's old, but so are our rifles.
https://www.singleshotexchange.com/ther ... ic-bullet/

One thing you mentioned in one of your posts was the use of Sharp Shoot R Lead Out and nasty red/brown crud on your cleaning patches.
I haven't seen anyone touch on that so I'll chime in with my opinion.

I won't ever use it in a black powder rifle again.
I used it in several smokeless rifles and hand guns, it worked "OK", but no better than Kroil and turpentine.
I tried using it in BPCR rifles and was rewarded with red/brown rusty looking patches.
I thought the bore was clean and was stunned.

So, like any sane rifleman would do, I used it again.
Then I watched it work with my Hawkeye bore scope.
(I'm not sold on the cheap money Teslong)

I watched the bore rust real time.
I'm not a chemist and don't know what the stuff is made of.
It kind of reminded me of some of the old concoctions posted in the past on various websites.

Lyman Gold isn't a bad lube.
You can make better lube yourself for less money.

BPCR is a much different sport than benchrest, or F-class.

Folks keep trying to re-invent the wheel, but the wheel was round years ago.
Read the old stuff.

Craig
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Thanks Craig...
Now you have me thinking. I'm an amateur at BPCR and still think like I'm shooting high power guns.
I never considered my solvent as the culprit.
Thanks for the reply...The Kind and helpful reply.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

45bpcr wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:57 pm Hello Jay,

Zack gave you some good, if brief advise.

Here's a good article written by Lee Shaver, it's old, but so are our rifles.
https://www.singleshotexchange.com/ther ... ic-bullet/

One thing you mentioned in one of your posts was the use of Sharp Shoot R Lead Out and nasty red/brown crud on your cleaning patches.
I haven't seen anyone touch on that so I'll chime in with my opinion.

I won't ever use it in a black powder rifle again.
I used it in several smokeless rifles and hand guns, it worked "OK", but no better than Kroil and turpentine.
I tried using it in BPCR rifles and was rewarded with red/brown rusty looking patches.
I thought the bore was clean and was stunned.

So, like any sane rifleman would do, I used it again.
Then I watched it work with my Hawkeye bore scope.
(I'm not sold on the cheap money Teslong)

I watched the bore rust real time.
I'm not a chemist and don't know what the stuff is made of.
It kind of reminded me of some of the old concoctions posted in the past on various websites.

Lyman Gold isn't a bad lube.
You can make better lube yourself for less money.

BPCR is a much different sport than benchrest, or F-class.

Folks keep trying to re-invent the wheel, but the wheel was round years ago.
Read the old stuff.

Craig
that article explains exactly the principle of dual diameter, pp or grease grooved, of the optimum bullet fit.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus