BPCR Bullets

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bpcr shooter

Re: BPCR Bullets

Post by bpcr shooter »

sure does make it easier on the pocket book thats for sure!!! dont pass on that invite!!!!
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Woody

Post by Woody »

I hope I've helped several over my few years of this journey. I offered again tonight at our local outdoors bullseye match. These rifles will fade away, if we are not ambassadors of them.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

There is so much to learn on all aspects of this game that it's easy to forget how much knowledge we have collectively accumulated over the years of trial and error after much of it being discussed and revealed right here on this forum. Sites like this are what keep the sport moving and folks juiced up to try new stuff getting ready for the next season.Then when you add the personal element by mentoring and good friendships that are built over time it really makes about the most efficient learning engine possible, sort of a BPCR apprenticeship and masters program rolled into one! :lol:
I learn new things all the time from what folks talk about and share pictures of on here.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Ok Fellows, my first set of loads got me these results in my new 45-70 Sporter # 1 30" barrel: MVA 103 LR Buffalo Soule Sights.

65gr Swiss 1.5fg .030 veg wad, 500gr LRN SPC lube. (65 gr Swiss 1.5fg is all I can get into the cartridge with minimal compression.)
This gives Avg. 1238fps.
100yrds needs 28.3 MOA Confirmed
200yrds needs 40.4 MOA Confirmed
300 yrds Calcuklate to need 54 MOA?
Thats all the range I have available at Ben Avery due to the Flue.

Do these look credible to you guys?
Raven

Post by Raven »

Woody wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:17 pm I hope I've helped several over my few years of this journey. I offered again tonight at our local outdoors bullseye match. These rifles will fade away, if we are not ambassadors of them.

Woody
Thank Woody. You are right on correct. Please keep helping keep this sport alive. It is a blast! Figuratively and actually.!
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Have you played with a ballistics calculator yet? Sometimes these get me in the ballpark when I want an approximation of my settings for a match away from home. But I still to like to show up on sight-in day before the match.

I use a ballistics coefficient of .4 and a velocity of 1200 fps for my 45-70 and 62 grains of Swiss 1.5. It's fun to put in some cross or quartering winds and see what that looks like.
JBM
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Hornady
https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ba ... lculators/#!/
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

raven; i find that all my rifles shoot best between .080 and .120 compression with swiss 1.5 and very little neck tension start a .060 and add a grain at a time until you are grouping well art
Raven

Post by Raven »

SFogler wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:18 pm Have you played with a ballistics calculator yet? Sometimes these get me in the ballpark when I want an approximation of my settings for a match away from home. But I still to like to show up on sight-in day before the match.

I use a ballistics coefficient of .4 and a velocity of 1200 fps for my 45-70 and 62 grains of Swiss 1.5. It's fun to put in some cross or quartering winds and see what that looks like.
JBM
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Hornady
https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ba ... lculators/#!/
I use StrelokPro and it is good program.
august west

Post by august west »

What is the correct drag coefficient for a typical PP bullet? I've read that a general BC of .5 is fine for our purposes in these computers but the Hornady app uses drag coeff which I can't find.
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
Raven

Post by Raven »

charlie young wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:07 pm You have a very good powder in the Swiss. And I'm not a salesman for Swiss. I have several Shilohs, the last one being a 45-70. Go figure! I'm using a Brooks Creedmoor with reduced top band. 66 grs. of Swiss 1/2 compressed to a smidge over .10 and it will ring a target at 1023 yds. all day long. The postel or money bullet the same. Hard fouling...never had an issue with Swiss ever. I'm sure the OE is quite capable of doing the same. This, my way is the only way BS lately on here is getting tiresome.
What weight of bullet and velocity do you get with the 66 gr Swiss? I so far have shot loads with both 68gr 1/2 (1221fps) and 68gr 2f (1275fps). Both give me 2moa at 200 yards.
I am going to load lighter on both and see the difference..
What say you?
Are you going to Raton?
Raven

Post by Raven »

Bullets are 535 Lyman Postell
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

I have no idea velocity, I haven't used a Chronograph on one of these types of rifles in 12 years, and that was only once. No on the Raton.
Raven

Post by Raven »

charlie young wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:37 am I have no idea velocity, I haven't used a Chronograph on one of these types of rifles in 12 years, and that was only once. No on the Raton.
[/quote

Thanks Charlie.I am getting a stable SD7 with 66gn 2f 1247fps 4" group 9 shots at 200yrds. Seems a bit large still dont you think?

I am going to more accurately seat the bullets and get a bit more neck tension and see what happens.

This BPCR is black science. happens I guess with powder that varies from lot to lot even stuff in the same can appears to vary a bit.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Raven wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:10 pm Bullets are 535 Lyman Postell
whats the alloy its made from?? that bullet has a pretty long nose and you may be getting some setback and/or slump. 16-1 or harder is most likely going to be your best.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Raven wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:28 pm Ok Fellows, my first set of loads got me these results in my new 45-70 Sporter # 1 30" barrel: MVA 103 LR Buffalo Soule Sights.

65gr Swiss 1.5fg .030 veg wad, 500gr LRN SPC lube. (65 gr Swiss 1.5fg is all I can get into the cartridge with minimal compression.)
This gives Avg. 1238fps.
100yrds needs 28.3 MOA Confirmed
200yrds needs 40.4 MOA Confirmed
300 yrds Calcuklate to need 54 MOA?
Thats all the range I have available at Ben Avery due to the Flue.

Do these look credible to you guys?

How many shots fired for MV, avg?
What was the ES of the recorded shots.
What was the group size at 200yds?
What are you calling "minimal compression"?
How do you compress?
Are you using a drop-tube?
What are you doing for fouling control?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"