BPCR Bullets

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Raven

Re: BPCR Bullets

Post by Raven »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:43 pm
Raven wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:28 pm Ok Fellows, my first set of loads got me these results in my new 45-70 Sporter # 1 30" barrel: MVA 103 LR Buffalo Soule Sights.

65gr Swiss 1.5fg .030 veg wad, 500gr LRN SPC lube. (65 gr Swiss 1.5fg is all I can get into the cartridge with minimal compression.)
This gives Avg. 1238fps.
100yrds needs 28.3 MOA Confirmed
200yrds needs 40.4 MOA Confirmed
300 yrds Calcuklate to need 54 MOA?
Thats all the range I have available at Ben Avery due to the Flue.

Do these look credible to you guys?

How many shots fired for MV, avg? 10
What was the ES of the recorded shots.35
What was the group size at 200yds? 4.5" circle around center
What are you calling "minimal compression"? enough to seat the bullet to the first band
How do you compress? BA Compression die
Are you using a drop-tube? yes
What are you doing for fouling control? Blow tube aftereachmshot Mpro 7 after 15 shots give or take.
Gary
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Drop the ES to half of what you have, and that group will shrink accordingly.
Try wiping.
What's your bullet alloy?
Try a 3/8 dia 'wad' of white coffee filter paper placed at the bottom of the case before adding powder.
Please describe your complete loading procedure.
Try .060 fiber wad.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

Phoenix, so how many blows on the blow tube between shots? 5, 6, 7, 8? Go to wiping. I don't know what the long range target shooters figure on needing but for BPCR I figure you need 1.5 MOA or less.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Raven wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:10 pm
rdnck wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:59 pm You will have to deal with more and harder fouling with the Swiss than with the Old Eynsford. Also, the OE will give a bit more velocity than the Swiss. I have found that over the years I have never had a Shiloh that wouldn't shoot a Lyman Postell out of a Lyman mold. I also have never shot a group at 100 yards with a Paul Jones Creedmoor that is as tight as the groups I have shot with Lyman Postells. I have three ring binders full of targets to back that statement up. Velocity wise, you are looking at about 1270 fps with OE. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I am seeing the harder fouling at the end of a session with swiss, but it is my first time working with BpCR reloading and shooting so I have nothing but you guys experience to compare it to.

I think I will order some OE 2f and give it a go. Ill see what I can find in the form of Postell bullets in the 535gr weight.
Correction after quite a bit of load development; The Swiss powder DOES NOT FOUL HARD AT ALL. In fact I can shoot 25 round strings with blow tubing and I am not seeing degredation in bullet performance and measured by group size.
Im still learning but am finding this sport exactly what I wanted.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I had at one time thought that the OE I was using had better fouling properties but after burning almost 10 pounds of it trying to find a match load I can say I was wrong in my initial assessment. For me anyways the fouling with the Swiss seems to be better. The patch I use that is behind the gopher is usually still white and the rounds chamber easy. That has not been the case with the OE I have been using. YMMV
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Give E 2F a go.
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Blow Tube at Ben Avery in August? You must have the lungs of a Bull Elk.
Silhouette Matches start at Ben Avery in September.
Postel bullets in a 45-70 should work just fine in your rifle for silhouette.
If nothing else go out and watch the match and meet some of the shooters.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Raven

Post by Raven »

See you at Ben Avery in September.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Now this is for 45-70 silhouette, nothing to do with loading for target which is entirely different.

Went back to the loading room and dug out some old loading notes (mine and others) for the Lyman Postel (Current version) in 45-70 from 1998 forward.

Then referred back to what your wrote above. Skipping the Goex loads and moving on to the Swiss, the best chronograph loads were also the best on Turkeys and Rams with 1.5 Swiss. (I won't bore you with what didn't work.) Either 1-25 or 1-20 alloy could tell no difference. Used powder compression die all loads. Pan lubed no sizing of bullet, (SPG works just fine) no sizing of fire formed R-P or WW case. ( Have transitioned to Star Line currently.) Seat bullet solid but not hard into rifling so loaded cartridge seats fully in rim seat. Either WW Large Rifle, Federal 210 or 210GMM the Turkeys could not tell the difference. Always maintained the same Cartridge Overall Loaded Length, COAL.

Started with 1/25 thou card juice carton (wax side against base of bullet) over 1/30 thou low density poly ethylene wad and hardly any compression, maybe 25-30 thousandths. I load by volume, not weight. Once I get the volume for that level of compression I then weigh the charge and use that as my starting weight baseline. This works regardless of what lot of 1.5 Swiss you have in hand. (Volume to weight can vary widely)

Load 12, increase charge by one grain load 12, increase charge by another grain and load 12. Compare results on target remembering that it doesn't matter how fast or slow that 535 grain bullet is moving you first have to hit the animal to obtain any result. Keep adding a grain and shooting until you determine what load level works best in your rifle with you pulling the trigger.

Depending on lot of 1.5 compression between 80 thou and 160 thou grouped best at Pigs or Turkeys. (Understanding the limitations where you are currently shooting distance wise.)

One arsenal patch with 50/50 anti-freeze and distilled water. The Volkswagon/Audi red works best. I use a lightly snug nylon bore brush with large glass bead on tip to push the patch through. Less likely to stick on end of push rod with glass bead.

Advice: You are looking for the load that works best in your rifle with you pulling the trigger and the only way to determine that is to do load development in your rifle with you shooting at the intended targets.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

the deuce's last sentence is the crux of the matter.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus