BPCR Bullets

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Raven

BPCR Bullets

Post by Raven »

Ok. I know all about the you have to shoot it to get what your rifle loves, however, how about some advice on basic bullet weight, and design for Creedmoor gong shooting for a Shiloh Sharpes 45-70, 30" barrel? Im using Swiss powder 1.5 and have 2f coming. 65 grains lightly compressed, is about all I can get in the round now with a 500 gr RN bullet.Im using MVA Vernier sights.

Keep it Pithy please.
rdnck

Re: BPCR Bullets

Post by rdnck »

O.K. Raven, here's your pithy response. It's SHARPS, not Sharpes. Sharpes is kinda gay, don'tcha think? Now, with that out of the way, forget the Swiss. Get some Olde Eynsford 2f and load 70 grains of it under a Lyman 457132 Postell. Compress the powder as much as you need to and seat the bullet so that all of the grease grooves are covered. You do have a compression die, do you not? A CCI BR2 primer is your friend. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Last edited by rdnck on Fri May 29, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

O.K. Raven, here's your pithy response. It's SHARPS, not Sharpes. Sharpes is kinda gay, don'tcha think? Now, with that out of the way, forget the Swiss. Get some Olde Eynsford 2f and load 70 grains of it under a Lyman 457132 Postell. Compress the powder as much as you need to and seat the bullet so that all of the grease grooves are covered. A CCI BR2 primer is your friend. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I Shoot a 535gr Money in the future I am going to try the Postell I think they are 525gr
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Raven,
Come on up to Payson and I'll show you how to load, do some shooting and go over any questions that you have. We can try several brands of powders and moulds and see what you want to go with.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

What a great offer
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

A very generous offer that I wouldn't pass up.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Absolutely
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Someone taking you under wing can save lots of time and money
Raven

Post by Raven »

Dennis Armistead wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:44 am Raven,
Come on up to Payson and I'll show you how to load, do some shooting and go over any questions that you have. We can try several brands of powders and moulds and see what you want to go with.
Dennis
I appreciate it. Let's get together at your convenience.
Raven

Post by Raven »

rdnck wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:09 am O.K. Raven, here's your pithy response. It's SHARPS, not Sharpes. Sharpes is kinda gay, don'tcha think? Now, with that out of the way, forget the Swiss. Get some Olde Eynsford 2f and load 70 grains of it under a Lyman 457132 Postell. Compress the powder as much as you need to and seat the bullet so that all of the grease grooves are covered. A CCI BR2 primer is your friend. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Thanks I get the Sharps thing, its spell checker that doesn't.

I have some Swiss 2f which Ill compress to get 70 gn in the cartridge.

Do you find big difference between Postell and Creedmoor shapes?

I also have CCI BR2 primers.

What kind of Muzzle velocity are you getting?
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

You will have to deal with more and harder fouling with the Swiss than with the Old Eynsford. Also, the OE will give a bit more velocity than the Swiss. I have found that over the years I have never had a Shiloh that wouldn't shoot a Lyman Postell out of a Lyman mold. I also have never shot a group at 100 yards with a Paul Jones Creedmoor that is as tight as the groups I have shot with Lyman Postells. I have three ring binders full of targets to back that statement up. Velocity wise, you are looking at about 1270 fps with OE. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

You will have to deal with more and harder fouling with the Swiss than with the Old Eynsford. Also, the OE will give a bit more velocity than the Swiss. I have found that over the years I have never had a Shiloh that wouldn't shoot a Lyman Postell out of a Lyman mold. I also have never shot a group at 100 yards with a Paul Jones Creedmoor that is as tight as the groups I have shot with Lyman Postells. I have three ring binders full of targets to back that statement up. Velocity wise, you are looking at about 1270 fps with OE. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Raven

Post by Raven »

rdnck wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:59 pm You will have to deal with more and harder fouling with the Swiss than with the Old Eynsford. Also, the OE will give a bit more velocity than the Swiss. I have found that over the years I have never had a Shiloh that wouldn't shoot a Lyman Postell out of a Lyman mold. I also have never shot a group at 100 yards with a Paul Jones Creedmoor that is as tight as the groups I have shot with Lyman Postells. I have three ring binders full of targets to back that statement up. Velocity wise, you are looking at about 1270 fps with OE. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I am seeing the harder fouling at the end of a session with swiss, but it is my first time working with BpCR reloading and shooting so I have nothing but you guys experience to compare it to.

I think I will order some OE 2f and give it a go. Ill see what I can find in the form of Postell bullets in the 535gr weight.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

If you order Postells, be sure they are lubed with a good black powder lube, and sized to .458 for your Shiloh. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT