Back to Iron sights

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Back to Iron sights

Post by Glen Ring »

I have been having fits shooting my 45-70 with a scope. The mounts would be loose , the knobs turned when I pulled the scope back...
Graham Stewart encouraged me to go back to iron sights.
I read, again, The book by Garbe and Venturino and one little sentence I apparently skipped over is " Get a Zero on your rifle."

My Mirouku has a Creedmore front sight so I zeroed the back sight, Zeroed the front sight at 500 meters and Darn...It all worked right. I shot the best groups ever yesterday with iron sights and a known ZERO.
It felt Liberating and fun to be shooting an iron sight rifle again.
The best groups ever at the chicken line in a long time.

As long as my eyes are good...I think I'll be an iron sight guy.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
august west

Re: Back to Iron sights

Post by august west »

What is the correct process to "get a zero". I've shot in lots of guns, iron sights and scopes, but I feel like there is something here I don't know with BPCR.
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I have an adjustable front sight. I never took the time to set the rear sight on perfect zero and then adjust the front sight so I was dead on at 500 meters. Now instead of guessing where the rear sight was I KNOW it all starts at zero. When Jeanne say two minutes right, I start from zero and go two mins right.

Beginner stuff for some folks...but this is the first adjustable front sight I've ever had on a rifle.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Ideally you want a calm air zero with both the wind gauge front sight and the rear tang starting on zero graduation because this gives you maximum windage in both directions. It however almost never works out that way as bores are not ever perfectly straight nor are they equal distantly centered with the outside diameter. If you can stand to look at a front sight, often off center in the dovetail cut, to accommodate a zero start on the graduations, then it is quite possible.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

This week I have learned two things that almost any 64 year old should know.
Don't use iron sights and don't walk around in the yard with nothing but my Undies on.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Glen Ring wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:05 pm This week I have learned two things that almost any 64 year old should know.
Don't use iron sights and don't walk around in the yard with nothing but my Undies on.
Glenn, Have another drink on me...... :D :wink:
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Jim
We live WAY out on a dead end road with lots of uninhabited acres all around us. It never fails. If I need to get out of bed early, walk outside in my undies and shoot a critter..there will be a car drive by on the dead end road.
I doubt very few folk's minds will comprehend the sight of an old , pale guy in his shorts with a rifle.
I had to put the scope back on my BPCR rifle. I really wanted to shoot with iron sights again...but it's just not going to happen.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

I know what you mean about iron sights. I had to give them up years ago. It was a shock to my ego..... :wink:
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I remember a quip by David Tubs I think his name is of high power fame, he said as we get older that at some point the matches become more of a "seeing" contest than a shooting contest. :lol:
Woody

Post by Woody »

I know what you mean about iron sights. I had to give them up years ago. It was a shock to my ego.....
Soooo Jim does that mean that you still haven't learned the second lesson? :shock:

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.