Remington Custom Shop #1 sporting Rifle.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Remington Custom Shop #1 sporting Rifle.

Post by Glen Ring »

Once again a Remington rolling block has caught my attention. Mechanicals look very simple to work on. Have any of you had experience with one of these ?
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Amigo

Re: Remington Custom Shop #1 sporting Rifle.

Post by Amigo »

I remember when they first came out quality control was a bit iffy and I believe that plus a couple of other issues was the reason they were discontinued.I also remember reading years ago that the owner of LoneStar Rolling blocks wouldn t touch the remington custom action for building one of his guns
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Woody

Post by Woody »

Glenn,

The couple that I've fondled left me thinking, "What happened at Remington". Poor quality. Stock to metal poor. Single set trigger unsafe.

Would rather find an old junker and start all over.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Four of us bought them when they first came out. All four had to go back to the Custom Shop when it was in N.Y. Mine kept stripping the trigger guard out of the stock. All 4 of us got rid of them. I now have a Sharps and Lone Star Rolling Block. Never looked back.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

So if I'm really wanting a rolling Block should I pass on the Remington and buy a Pedersoli ??
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Keep your eye peeled for a good #5 action or a Swede or Norwegian whole gun at a gun show and have it barreled with a Green Mtn. You can do the stock as they are pretty easy and you'll have a good gun to work with. They are cool and easy to shoot or work on,simple and reliable as can be.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

I had the Remington Custom Shop Mid Range rolling block made in 1997 that came in the green hard case with the tang sight and the documentation from the Custom Shop. I don't think it had ever been fired. If I had to push the round in firmly, (bullet touching the lands) it would sometimes fire on its own. The hammer would fall and fire a round while my thumb was still pressing on block to fully close it. I took it to a very experienced BP rifle gunsmith who couldn't fix it. It did the same thing again when I got it back and jammed my thumb. I sold it to a guy after explaining exactly what my experience with the rifle was. He later told me he sent it to his gunsmith who couldn't fix it either. I'm sure there's a simple fix like seat the bullet deeper so it never has to be pushed in but I couldn't trust it anymore. I have an original RB Creedmoor that never does that. Also the few rounds I did fire through it indicated the rifle had no desire to shoot a group.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I have a 1869 Egyptian contract action that Dave Higginbotham took apart, replaced all of the innards and barreled it with a 1/24 twist Green Mountain barrel. He chambered it with a Dave Manson no throat reamer as per my spec in 50-90. I use it as a BPCR hunting rifle and have taken Bison and Elk with it.There are plenty of Roller actions available if that is what you want.Just get a good gunsmith.