Bullet casting frustration

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gussy

Re: Bullet casting frustration

Post by Gussy »

I have always used ether starting fluid to clean molds. ALWAYS OUTSIDE AND UP WIND (I hold my breath as I spray too). Total oil removal and near instant dry.
CaptnJack

Post by CaptnJack »

I have a Brooks custom in 530 gr duel diameter PP mould. I run 16-1 mix at right around 780 deg pour temp. I have found out to make sure your mould is at temp, if I am not getting a good pour I heat the mold up with a propane torch. I only clean my mold with a soft piece of wood. A small angle pice and one with a point on it will take the lead right off. When I store the mould I spray it with a 3 in 1 oil rap it in a shop towel. I have casted over 1500 bullets with it with no problems I could not fix easily.
cda4570

Post by cda4570 »

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.
I'll clean the molds again, re-flux the pot and start at 730 deg. Im using new Baco 20-1 lead.
I think changing the way I fill the mold from the ladle may help.I have been filling the mold tip'd 45 deg and rotating to level and holding it until
the lead overflows from the sprue.May be too fast on the rotation. I do notice I do need to back off the ladle to let the mold vent.
I'm not going to take up golf yet :D
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

I have read on forums for years "Do Not Smoke A Bullet Mold" with no explanation as to why not. Can someone please explain the problems caused by smoking a bullet mold? Just curious.
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Contamination, why do it? :roll:
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Some aluminum mold manufactures recommend it??? Still curious.
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

I've heard they smoke them to keep from rusting, aluminum don't rust! :roll:
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

I've heard they smoke them to keep from rusting, aluminum don't rust! :roll:
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Cut a vent notch in your ladle nozzle solves a host of issues.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Pilgrim wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:09 am I have read on forums for years "Do Not Smoke A Bullet Mold" with no explanation as to why not. Can someone please explain the problems caused by smoking a bullet mold? Just curious.
Smoke / carbon residue will change the size / shape of the bullet and grooves. Experiment with a clean mold vs a smoked mold and you will see the difference in the shape and weight of the bullets.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

Dennis Armistead wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:23 pm
Pilgrim wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:09 am I have read on forums for years "Do Not Smoke A Bullet Mold" with no explanation as to why not. Can someone please explain the problems caused by smoking a bullet mold? Just curious.
Smoke / carbon residue will change the size / shape of the bullet and grooves. Experiment with a clean mold vs a smoked mold and you will see the difference in the shape and weight of the bullets.
Dennis
i have not found this.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:05 pm Cut a vent notch in your ladle nozzle solves a host of issues.

KW
Don't quite understand. Like a slice on the top of the inside?

Mike
AzTBH

Post by AzTBH »

I believe this is what Kenny Wasserburger has in mind. See picture titled "This RCBS ladle has been modified to allow air to escape from the mould" in this article: https://www.blackpowdercartridge.com/bullet-casting
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member
Kitsap

Post by Kitsap »

AzTBH wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:52 pm I believe this is what Kenny Wasserburger has in mind. See picture titled "This RCBS ladle has been modified to allow air to escape from the mould" in this article: https://www.blackpowdercartridge.com/bullet-casting

Ross,

Thank you!
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

bob glodt is a bit behind the times.
16:1 is now in common use, and bumps up to seal the bore well.
some of us are now using 12:1 with bore diameter bullets, and that bumps up well to seal the bore and take the rifling as well.
in fact 12:1 and even 10:1 were commonly the most used alloys for long range pp bore diameter bullets.
probably because it worked better, for accuracy as well as minimizing b.c. robbing nose slump.
nose slump also causes leading.
softer alloys came in to make breech seating of groove diameter bullets easier during the later scheutzen era.
i believe original 45/70 military ammo used 16:1 as well.
with regards venting air from moulds, i have found that adjusting the sprue plate screw correctly is a big help.
you need to do it when the mould is hot to get it right.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus