Swiss 2f?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Raven

Swiss 2f?

Post by Raven »

I dont hear much talk about Swiss 2f. I have been shooting S1.5 at 69 gr with good accuracy and velocities of ! 1245fps. The Swiss 1.5 is 'Caviar' and I find it compresses to a very hard load.

What are your thoughts on 2f; my thinking is I could get a bit more velocity with the same grns loading without the hard compression?
SSShooter

Re: Swiss 2f?

Post by SSShooter »

Have always shot 2F Swiss in my 40-65 (58-68gr depending on bullet & distance) and my 38-56/55/50/40. The 38-55 & 40 are new enough that I will eventually try both 1.5F & 3F.
Glenn
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Normally, the finer the powder, the larger the volume for the same weight. You would end up with more compression. And as long as it shoots, does it matter?
Raven

Post by Raven »

martinibelgian wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:14 am Normally, the finer the powder, the larger the volume for the same weight. You would end up with more compression. And as long as it shoots, does it matter?
After testing, it shoots and for the same grain weight, is on average, 35 fps faster and the 'feel' during compression is less than with 1.5.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

After playing with the OE for a little while I decided it is time to hit the Swiss again. 2F is all my supplier had so he is sending me a case. I am hoping it will be here by Friday so that I may load some for the shoot in Alma.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I've been shooting 2 FG Swiss since It came in steel cans and was $10.00/lb. I did try one case of 1.5 FG with indifferent results. Went back to 2 FG.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I have never tried the Swiss 2F. I have had really good luck with the 1.5 but deer creek didn’t have any. I ended up getting a 2018 lot of it. I have high hopes. After the scores I had this past weekend I have been a little down in the dumps. I have not had a score in the teens since 2017.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Ian, crappy conditions had something to do with that score. Remember we were tied with a 19. I had not shot a score in the teens in years also.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Woody

Post by Woody »

Ian,

If you got the 2018 lot, it's the same that I am using this year. Good stuff. It seems to work with zero or lots of compression.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

John My scores on Saturday were not that great either. Verticals were Terrible for me all weekend. I thought I had the OE figured out. I am going to put that on the back burner for now and see what I can get this Swiss to do.

Woody that’s good to know. It’s the same lot that Brent is shooting. He was nice enough to give me the low down on how much compression he is using. I hope it will be at my house by Friday. If so I can get 200 some loaded for alma.
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

One visit to the range will not give you the answer. I have shot the same load over the course of a number of years and I can shoot Master as well a A scores with exact same loading and components. There are too many variable -- you need to try it for many months to know what works.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I have been. To date I have shot one target on paper that I was real happy with but just one. Thought I had it figured out but it wasn’t so. I have burned up almost 10 pounds of it looking for an answer that may not be there. I know others like it a lot but I just can’t seem to get it to work. Maybe it has something to do with they way I load them.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Ian,

Getting a range in a good condition, organizing a large Regional and having the responsibility of supplying entries a fun event is not conducive to having great personal scores. Don't beat yourself up. From what I hear, you were successful. Congrats.................. 8) 8)
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Thank you for the kind words Jim.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Jim Kidwell wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:39 pm Ian,

Getting a range in a good condition, organizing a large Regional and having the responsibility of supplying entries a fun event is not conducive to having great personal scores. Don't beat yourself up. From what I hear, you were successful. Congrats.................. 8) 8)
I would whole heartedly agree! Shooting in a match, and shooting in the match you are putting on are two totally different things....