Wind indicators..Wind Flags

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Wind indicators..Wind Flags

Post by Glen Ring »

Jeanne wants a wind flag near her in the future. I'm wondering if a piece of surveyor's tape on a spike driven into the ground would work ? I'm cheap and don't use one...which might explain why Jeanne is always a few animals ahead of me at every match.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
gunlaker

Re: Wind indicators..Wind Flags

Post by gunlaker »

Glen there are lots that work, even simple ones. I have a set I bought from Buffalo Arms that are just wind vanes built on arrow shafts with good quality ( not the crispy plastic surveyors tape ). I think they work well. Once at Byers for the state midrange match, Bryan really kicked my butt at 600 yards and I asked Robert Garibay who was spotting, what their secret was. Robert just said "we used your wind flag" :-). I paid a little too much attention to the downrange flag while Robert was just using my 'el cheapo flag to clean our clocks.

Chris.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

google BRT wind flags.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Keep it simple! Shot next to Brad Rice years ago at the Nationals. His wind flag was a empty Subway sandwich bag on a stick.I believe he won the Nationals that year too. FWIW.
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

That wind flag is the Wyoming wind flag. An empty yoghurt container with a lite weight plastic bag, subway bag or the original was a newspaper sleeve. Mount on about a four foot stick. I still use the one and only original Wyoming wind flag. Brad got it from me.rick Moritz used the flag design at the world championships several years ago got the photo.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Couple years ago at my 2017 World Championship, a few rascals used a veterinary exam glove :roll:

Mike, you might even recognize the devil 2nd from left :shock:

Dave "Rascal" Gamble, Jim I can't hit that sumbitch Bourne, Linda Bonefield, Penny "Rascal" Thompson, Mark "Rascal" Meccage, Alissah Hickey, Glenn Gipson, Crystal Greene, Dick Hansen, Brian Hickey, Elywn Brunner, John Olsen

That's definitely using, "what's on hand" :roll: :roll:

Image2017 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP (1) by Brian Hickey, on Flickr
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

About four to five actual feet above barrel level works well as as accurate indicator of direction and intensity or at least high enough the gadget does not interfere with shooting or spotting. Less than that height is helpful if you decide to use one at all.

Just don't forget MIRAGE.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

40-65rl wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:46 pm That wind flag is the Wyoming wind flag. An empty yoghurt container with a lite weight plastic bag, subway bag or the original was a newspaper sleeve. Mount on about a four foot stick. I still use the one and only original Wyoming wind flag. Brad got it from me.rick Moritz used the flag design at the world championships several years ago got the photo.
I always thought a Wyoming wind flag was a 100 pound weight hung off a heavy chain :-)

Chris.
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

Chris,
We tried that 100 lb chain but could not keep it on the pole. Kept blowing off!
Dick
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Thanks Everyone. I experimented today with three different kinds of flags. I think an arrow shaft with a piece of surveyors tape will do a pretty good job for us. I tried an old Bow Hunting trick using dental floss...but our eyes are too old to see it .
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

So, what do you use for a pivot/bearing for the arrow shaft?
Delrin?
beltfed/arnie
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

gunlaker wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:51 pm I always thought a Wyoming wind flag was a 100 pound weight hung off a heavy chain :-)

Chris.
We use a half dozen links of chain & the anchor off an oil tanker ship on The Big Hill :wink:
I thought we were in a lot of trouble 3 weeks ago Saturday :shock:
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain