PP Question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

PP Question

Post by SSShooter »

Are any of you PP'ers using grease cookies (Ian, BFD, Arnie, etc.)?
If yes, what is working for you. Still waiting on my PP mold to be made, but might as well figure out as much as possible before it gets here.
Thanks.
Glenn
SharpsBig50

Re: PP Question

Post by SharpsBig50 »

I tried them in an effort to shoot more shots between swabbing the bore and I didn’t find they helped very much. My lube cookie was pretty standard beeswax/crisco/olive oil mix and a little thicker than 1/8”.

Rifle is a C. Sharps 50-90, 585 grain PP and 100grains of goex 1F.
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

For target work , no. Bore wipers of some sort with 30-1 mix of water/ NAPA wso and a dry patch all pushed through in one pass leaves the bore fresh and ready. I've only had to wipe a second time near the end of my string if it was really , really hot and I felt a little tightness when I wiped. It's fast if you need to make up time also. I shot a new rifle this weekend and apparently had recorded my turkey setting wrong and had to fire 6-7 sighters to get on. Went for score with 6 min,37 seconds and finished with 9 birds and didn't have to rush the last 2 shots. I wiped twice after shot #7 because the barrel was so hot. Between relays I wipe one wet patch of M-pro 7 and one dry. Same procedure works for my 40-65 with 70gr of 1 1/2 Swiss and my 45-90 using 91gr behind DDPP bullets.

HG
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I use the dry lubed felt wads from Muzzleloader originals. My shooting partner Eddie uses a grease cookie made from his beeswax and jojoba lube mix.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Glenn,
NO, I am not using any lube cookies,etc in any of my BPCR paper patch loads.
I am using only a 0.060" LDPE wad over the powder.
My wiping is with distilled water only.- that way no problem with our Hard water building up calcium,etc in bore or on bore critters,etc.
If using patches, Two Wet/ One dry
Or a Dist. water wet "bore critter" followed by a dry patch
No problems with buildup of fouling either way,
even in this Wi extra Hot days
OH, I did use RV antifreeze for when I was doing some Postal shooting in below freezing temps.
That worked well, too
beltfed/arnie
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Thanks for all the answers.
And thanks for the tip on the water. Ours is hard, as well. As little as I use and as insignificant is the cost of distilled water means I'll be changing to that. Wife uses in her CPAP, so I'll start by borrowing some of hers. Mineral build-up during a BTPR match could be 'real', as hot as the barrel can get.
Glenn
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I use the BACO bore wipers, water and napa cutting oil,7-1 followed by a dry patch. 45 caliber followed with a 2 1/2 inch patch, 44 2 inch patch, and 40 with a 1 1/2 inch patch.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

the dry patch will be moist from soaking up fluid.
ideally this patch should be pushed nearly through, pulled back , and then pushed out.
this will guarantee the front of the rifling is also cleaned.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Bruce,
A Very Good Thought , push /pull/push the dry patch near the muzzle.

I will be trying that, tho, no problem when using two wet /one dry patch

Using bore critters/one dry, the rubber squeegee washer is supposed to remove (most of)
the moisture, so the following dry patch should not be getting very wet. Seems like that
following patch is insurance of a uniformly clean,dry bore after using the bore critters,
Particularly when using Paper Patch bullets.
beltfed/arnie
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

My limited experience thus far is that using the BACo bore-pigs is good enough without the dry patch. The o-ring fit is tight enough that it removes the moisture well. My felts are so wet that the chamber is 'dripping' so I do use a bore-mop.

On the casting side of things. The BACo DDPP molds I am using are the best casting molds I've used to-date. Having no GGs allow them to fall out of the mold very easily and I think I'm about 1/3 faster. So fast that I think I am overheating the mold and have to make myself slow down a bit after ~50 bullets.
Glenn
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Glenn,
FWIW,
For many years, I cast with two molds at once, Filling one while the other cools, etc. Leaves more time for each one to solidify and cool a bit.
Works fine. You should be casting with two molds that are not too far apart in bullet weight.
beltfed/arnie
BFD

Post by BFD »

I use grease cookies only for hunting loads, never for targets unless I'm trying to chew up a lot of powder space for a reduced load.

I use any water I can find for wiping my bore, including crick water, parking lot puddle water (hopefully well settled), or high-end bottled drinking water. I'm not fussy. Just make it wet.
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

What is NAPA cutting oil?
Chris W.
Chris Wilson
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

NAPA (car parts) offers a water soluble cutting oil in pint & larger containers. Works great mixed about 7-1 with water.
Glenn