Sizing Brass

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tuscarora

Sizing Brass

Post by Tuscarora »

Sorry to bring up a topic likely covered somewhere in here. I don't seem to be all that bright at using the search function.

Okay, sizing fired brass. Full length, partial, or not at all. I am using GG bullets.

Thanks!
SharpsBig50

Re: Sizing Brass

Post by SharpsBig50 »

When I shot GG bullets I did not resize my cases, the bullet I used were simply pressed in the case with my thumb after the powder was compressed.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

Tuscarora,

You can do it any of three ways.

You don't say what type of rifle you're using, some rifles have more camming ability than others, some none at all. I have never sized my fireformed brass and have always finger seated my grease groove bullets to engrave about .020-.030" when the block is raised on my '74 Sharps rifles and other of similar falling block design. Rollers have no camming and therefore the length has to be such that the block closes freely on the loaded round.

Neck tension works, I just found it easier to control the amount of tension when there wasn't any at all, zero tension is always the same. YMMV
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

One of the reasons I have never liked finger seating bullets is the inability to insure uniform overall length , especially with an action that does have substantial camming leverage when the block is closed. It is better in this regard when wiping between shots but I have no faith in it when blow tubing.
A taper crimp that holds the bullet securely in the case has always worked for me to the 600 yards I have competed.
I also have no faith in a few thousands of powder compression to resist bullet seating depth change when loading into a fouled chamber throat.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

All depends on what rifle, cartridge, purpose, location and preference dictate. Loading methods may be modified to accommodate usage.

Yesterday silhouette match in Tucson was 108 F, with 17% humidity, in the shade. One patch of 50/50 Audi Anti-freeze with distilled water worked in 45-70. After 3 sighters and 10 animals the wooden fore end on my rifle was so hot I could not hold on long enough to walk it from the line to my shooting box. (It has been a very long time ago that I saw a blow tube "attempted" to be used in Arizona.)

Had the rifle been in the open sun yesterday the radiant temperature would have been significantly higher and bore pigs would have been a necessity.

Any sane person would have not been out in it.

Essentially, how we load, (say the 45-70), depends entirely upon the intended usage. Loading black powder competition vs black powder hunting with a 45-70 BPCR are two entirely different animals.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Tuscarora wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:14 pm Sorry to bring up a topic likely covered somewhere in here. I don't seem to be all that bright at using the search function.

Okay, sizing fired brass. Full length, partial, or not at all. I am using GG bullets.

Thanks!
I feel for general all around shooting, full length sizing will be your best bet. Drop the round in, close the action, shoot...repeat until you need to get rid of the fouling. Target shooting is another matter.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

no sizing......no need to. shoot, clean, fill with BP, wad, bullet and shoot again.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

if you do want to size cases, still use a bullet that will friction fit into a fireformed case with the fingers.
after sizing, expand the neck with a baco dual diameter expander that allows the bullet to be started with the fingers, and then has 0.001" neck tension.
that with most compression will allow a groove diameter bullet to be forced into the lands a little should you prefer.
0.001" tension will only bugger the bullet a bare minimum.
such a setup will allow finger seating for target shooting and neck tension for hunting etc.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I size my .45-70 brass in a .45-100 die and my .45-90 brass in a .45-110 die.
Works the brass less and my targets say to keep doing it.
I only shoot GG bullets.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Gary,
Come shoot BPCR silhouette with us next weekend at Miller Kansas.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

VectorMan wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:45 am Gary,
Got a link for information?
Not sure my rifle makes weight.
Gary
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:40 pm
VectorMan wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:45 am Gary,
Got a link for information?
Not sure my rifle makes weight.
Gary
BPCR, Inc.
Miller, Kansas
Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette
NRA Approved 2020 Match Schedule

Match Dates:

March 21 & 22
April 18 & 19
May 16 & 17
June 20 & 21
July 18 & 19
August 15 & 16
September 19 & 20
October 17 & 18

Range Location:
The range is located one mile south and one and three-quarter miles west of Miller, Kansas.

General Information:
Camping is permitted at the range. No facilities are available at the range with the exception of toilets. Motels and restaurants are available nearby in Osage City, Emporia, and Topeka. Also, Rick and Sherri Anderson have lodging accommodations 4 miles from the range.

Eligibility:
All shooters are welcome and are encouraged to become NRA members.

Entries:
Advance entry is not required.

Fees:
$25/40 round match each day

Squadding:
Shooters must indicate squadding preferences upon entry. The number of relays is determined by the number of shooters. Shooters’ starting positions are chosen via a drawing before each match.

Classification:
NRA official classification will be used in all matches so please bring you NRA classification cards. Shooters with no established class will shoot in Master class until establishing a class score on their first match.

Rules:
Current NRA Silhouette rules apply.

Awards:
Medals will be given for match winner and first, second, and third place in each class in which there are at least five competitors. With four competitors in a class, medals are given for first and second place. With three competitors, a first-place medal will be awarded. If there are two or fewer in a class, that class is combined with the next higher class.

Firing Schedule:
Matches begin at 9:00 AM with a competitor meeting held immediately prior to the start of the match. All matches consist of one forty shot course of fire.

Targets:
Targets are standard NRA silhouette painted white. Swingers are used for sight-in.

For more information, contact:

Rick Hladky
rick.hladky@gmail.com

Kevin Alexander
ka@vw3d.com
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Thank you :!:
Gary