Vo vs. Powder Charge & Type

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bruce m

Re: Vo vs. Powder Charge & Type

Post by bruce m »

but you have to start somewhere, and getting the bullet to leave the muzzle when the muzzle is more nearly still is a good start.
at closer ranges it is not the issue that it is further out, just as with s.d.
good modern barrel fitting includes this.
most barrels are not straight, so optimum indexing is for any bore curve at the muzzle points downward.
this minimizes sideways dispersion due to uncontrolled sideways harmonic whip.
as an aside set triggers increase harmonic complexity, as they set it going before the hammer even starts to fall.
barrel time influences the point at which the bullet leaves the barrel, and muzzle velocity control is the way to deal with that.
the more consistent the muzzle velocity, the more consistent the barrel time.'
but std deviations of 0 are impossible.
that is why having at least 3 ladder loads on a node is forgiving.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
BFD

Post by BFD »

Bruce, I have no idea what you are talking about. three loads on a node? What node. There is one node in a tube, and it is NEVER at the end of the barrel.

Have you ever worked out the actual range if muzzle velocities, to assess what the variation in "barrel time" really is and then related that to the frequencies of vibration to determine if anything you are claiming is even close to reasonable? Approach it from first principles and see if it even begins to make sense.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

brent, i am talking about what i call an accuracy node.
these appear at the top and bottom of the sine wave which appears on the target as you shoot groups with increasing powder charges.
in the case of say 284 winchester with smokeless, you increase the charges by 0.3 gns.
at the top and bottom of the waves, there is obviously less elevation difference between loads than 1/2 way up or down.
it is loads in the bottom and top that are therefore more forgiving of vert induced by velocity spread.
i know this works, because i have been doing it for many years.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus