Rather Entertaining.............

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Re: Rather Entertaining.............

Post by Glen Ring »

The #1 thing is to keep unauthorized folks from coming on this forum and saying the match was cancelled.
Brent I really would LOVE that match.
Maybe just before or after the BPCR silhouette nationals.

I think I'll start a list now of the people that would go to Raton and shoot 1000 yards.
My e-mail is Glennbob@mbo.net. I'll start a list and if there's enough interest we'll at least try.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Well count me in.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm an unabashed proponent of Duplexing and it has treated me very well.Won a regional midrange position championship with a two day score of 538 some years back. Shot a 99-4x at 600 yards, one match ,with duplex loads. It works really well in the 2.1 which I feel is capacity challenged with straight black and 500 plus grain bullets.
It works really well in cold weather to eliminate the need for blow tubing or wiping between shots.
It provides more time to wait out a condition if needed in a match . More time to read a condition in any match.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Wayne,

From the 2003 Creedmoor equipment survey:

83 surveys were submitted

39 indicated no to duplexing
34 indicated yes. Of these, two indicated that they duplexed with black powder. One with 2F and 4F and one with Goex Cartridge and Swiss 3F.

Duplex powder used:

Reloader #7 - 19
4227 - 9
1680 - 2
Accurate #9 - 1
N130 - 1
414 - 1
680 - 1
6/65 - 1
728 - 1
5744 - 1
4759 - 1

Not sure what some of these powders are and the numbers don't add, but here they are.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Glen Ring wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:09 pm Black Powder competition is NOT being driven out by the NRA. I remember AARON FARMER, of the NRA, wanted to put on a BP paper match at Raton and someone NOT working with the NRA came on this forum and said it was cancelled.
Glen, find that post or thread where Aaron wanted to put that match on. I can’t seem to find it.
Thanks.

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Glen Ring wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:31 pm I think I'll start a list now of the people that would go to Raton and shoot 1000 yards.
My e-mail is Glennbob@mbo.net. I'll start a list and if there's enough interest we'll at least try.
Noooo!!!!
That’s the Ring kiss of death!
It’ll never happen!

2020 BPCR Nationals at Raton ran by the Rings: Abruptly cancelled and moved to Pa in a last ditch effort to have a match.

2020 Oklahoma BPCR regional ran by the Rings: Abruptly cancelled, never to be shot again.

I see 2 common denominators in the above matches.
If they are big matches and ran by the Rings.....well you know. 😝😝😝😝😝

Just pulling your chain Glenn. Come shoot Miller.

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Jeanne Ring

Post by Jeanne Ring »

VectorMan wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:11 am

2020 Oklahoma BPCR regional ran by the Rings: Abruptly cancelled, never to be shot again.

KA
Nothing abrupt about it, Kevin. It was a long painful process trying to run those matches. It died a slow death. It's a shame, too. We had reserved the range for a regional and preparations had begun. As a matter of fact, it was for this month. Oh well. Maybe someone will step up and run some matches. As for me, I am done with that bunch.

Now we are off to the range this morning. Not to mow, weed-eat, clean, and plan for a regional for you to shoot in. No, we are going to shoot our brand-new C-Sharps rifle and enjoy ourselves. You know, kind of like you do.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Kevin
Jeanne was contacted by AAron Farmer to run a Paper match at the Tubb Range..AAron of the NRA..who was asked to make that happen by his boss..at the NRA. Jeanne asked me to help and knowing NOTHING about paper matches I wanted to learn. We drove the 9 hours to Raton spending our funds . I had no idea what the targets looked like or what the course of fire looked like..so What did the NRA do??? The NRA flew an experienced competitor in along with an NRA representative to tell us how and what to do...just to make 25 folks happy. I think the magic number was 25 and the numbers were in the teens I think when a POSTER HERE came on shilo and stated that match had been CANCELLED. That added to much confusion and finally , after much frustration , and THAT POSTER who is reading this RIGHT NOW , cancelled that match we were TRYING to make happen I think everyone asked themselves why are we doing this.

The 2020 OKC regional..... You shot the 2019 regional and even the cranky old guys LIKED what we did and could not wait to shoot in 2020. We were chomping at the bits to make 2020 even better than the 2019 match you shot at. After months of planning all winter for the BPCR program in OKC, we were contacted by a representative of a group we have known for years and the rep said they were going to boycott our BPCR matches. An e-mail sent out to figure out WTF was going on received no responses so we advised the rep he could run the matches.
The common denominator , as you said, were the Rings trying hard, working hard to put on a match for shooters. I begged Jeanne, along with a couple of cranky old guys that liked her efficiency, to be the BPCR match director at OKC and it's a request I will regret forever. Aaron farmer, of the NRA, Liked Jeanne's efficiency at running other national matches and asked her to put on the BPTR match at the whittington center. She discussed that with me and I asked her to help the NRA and help the 25 shooters who loved shooting that match. That's a request I now regret also.

Now this...I WAS willing to try to make a 1000 yard match happen....NRA or NO NRA.. at least TRY. We have VERY good relationships with the Whittington center staff But WTF would I do that now after your post. Instead of the positive replys I get this one. I think posts like yours are the KISS of death to many a match...not hard working people trying to put on a match.

Looks Like Kevin Alexander of Miller Kansas will now be THE man to make a 1000 yard match happen at Raton. Go for it Vectorman..I'm tappin out.

We will love to shoot at Miller Kansas when all this virus stuff dies down. Jeanne has a BRAND NEW C-Sharps 1885 that she ordered a year ago. We're excited. I really like and respect Rick Hladky ..he is a true gentleman and is very positive and supportive and if he will be the match director at Miller, we know it will be a match we can attend and have fun at.

Good Luck . I can't wait to shoot your 1 day 1000 yard BPTR match at Raton next summer I will help in anyway I can. I think you'll have a great turnout ....AMF..
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Interesting - setting up a 3x1000yds BPTR match at Raton for next year.
BTW,
Lodi is holding BPTR matches Sept 17 thru Sept 20:
American Creedmoor Cup Thurs Sept 17 and Friday Sept 18
THEN: Saturday Sept 19--a 3x1000yds and Sun Sept 20 a 3X1000yds two day match
There you go, guys, a practice match for next year.
Hope Lodi does not have to cancel due to the China Virus
beltfed/arnie
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

we are still on at Lodi, mailed my check in today for it. Wont be able to do the Creedmoor as I have to do this work thing. hope to see you all there, should be a great time!!
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

we are still on at Lodi, mailed my check in today for it. Wont be able to do the Creedmoor as I have to do this work thing. hope to see you al there, should be a great time!!
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Cliff and Mark put on a great shoot at Lodi for some very good shooters.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Woody, did by chance that Brewery name their Flat Tire Brand with you in mind?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Oak Ridge, TN NMLRA All 1000yd match is next up.

https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopi ... 04#p319104

Would be nice if the 1000yd matches, as few as there are, could be spaced out a bit. Two weekends in a row and 700 miles apart is a bit much for many, even in times of no virus.
Glenn
Old-Win

Post by Old-Win »

desert deuce wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:59 pm I posted this after ssshooters post, let's see if Shooting Sports lets it stay up.

Black Powder Competition was driven out from the NRA by the NRA, it was not due to neglect. It was an overt set of acts that were intentional. The true reason is subject to speculation the results are not. However, shooting sports in general is being disincentivised by the NRA, actively so since 2011.
I don’t see how anybody can blame the NRA for destroying the long range BPC matches. Yes, they are mismanaged at the top but that has nothing to do with BPCR. It’s a matter of we shooters getting old and having a tough time pulling targets for 2 days, shooting prone with old stiff necks cranked up for thirty minutes at a 45 degree angle and failing eye sight. There are many that went to the nationals but after being there once or twice and buying the T-shirt, never went back. Blame the NRA if you like but let’s look at some of what’s going on elsewhere.
I shot my 1st LR match in 2005 at Lodi, WI and there were 66 shooters. Five years later, we were down to 32 shooters and in 2018, Lodi only had 21 shooters at the fall match. Ernie ran the matches, I believe, through 2009 and then Cliff and Mark took over. Does anybody want to lay blame on them for running the matches into the ground??? You can’t and the NRA sure as hell wasn’t involved. You can bitch about the NRA moving matches to the east but let’s look at the last World Creedmoor Match held in this country at Lodi in 2008. 36 shooters showed up and that included shooters from 2 other countries. There was a handful of shooters from west of the Mississippi. I’m not counting the 2 from Alaska. It’s like the western shooters think that when the get to the big river, there is no way to get across. I heard all sorts of excuses, “I had it on my bucket list, I just couldn’t get away or it was just too far.”
I went to Rhodes 1st Creedmoor cup match back in its day and there were 51 shooters, how many were at his last one. It’s age and distance, fellas.