Rather Entertaining.............

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

Rather Entertaining.............

Post by SSShooter »

in that the NRA is, more-or-less, out of the long-range BPTR competition business.
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2020/8/2 ... oor-match/
Glenn
BFD

Re: Rather Entertaining.............

Post by BFD »

Not so entertaining is that they stole my photo of that Sharps .45-2.6" cartridge. Not to mention, Gullo and none of the other people mentioned shot paper patch, and yet almost everyone was shooting duplex (Gullo included).
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I was surprised to see the duplex thing.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Just about everything has changed since then except, Gullo still cleans everone's clock...
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I posted this after ssshooters post, let's see if Shooting Sports lets it stay up.

Black Powder Competition was driven out from the NRA by the NRA, it was not due to neglect. It was an overt set of acts that were intentional. The true reason is subject to speculation the results are not. However, shooting sports in general is being disincentivised by the NRA, actively so since 2011.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
BFD

Post by BFD »

Yeah, Zack. That will really help... :roll:
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Seems to be gone already....
Woody

Post by Woody »

I shot that match. That was the last year that I drove the A Model to Raton. Yes I shot Duplex. When George, (the match director), decided to prohibit duplexing, I switched to straight black. Have never looked back. Will be shooting straight black next week at Atterbury.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Woody wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:10 pm I shot that match. That was the last year that I drove the A Model to Raton. Yes I shot Duplex. When George, (the match director), decided to prohibit duplexing, I switched to straight black. Have never looked back. Will be shooting straight black next week at Atterbury.

Woody
Comparing the scores of the Duplex Era to the "Modern Era" suggests that duplex wasn't a solution.
VBull

Post by VBull »

It was a soloution at the time. Sort of. If you needed to shoot fast to match conditions, than duplex was a good way to go.
I'm not absolutely sure but i don't think Dave used duplex at that time. As International go, we lost to the German team at Bisley in 2003 and lost again to them at Raton in 2004. We did win in 2006 at Cape town SA. This was the last International match for black powder long range cartridge and muzzleloader combined matches. The NRA (US) was supposed to host the 2010 match but wrote it out of their budget. It has been dead since. FM
Woody

Post by Woody »

I've only got scores from 1999 to 2014 Never have compared pre to post duplexing, but my best finish in Creedmoor, (fourth), was with straight black.

As Frank stated, duplexing had it's place at the time, (except in Mikes mind). Black, in my humble opinion, will do anything we need with these rifles. I don't regret the change.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

I found the match results bulletin and in the "what the winners used" list, it lists Dave used a duplex load of FG Swiss and RL7. It shows that Rick used straight 2 F Swiss, and that Mark used Goex 2F and N130. So of the three, two used duplex at that time.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Black Powder competition is NOT being driven out by the NRA. I remember AARON FARMER, of the NRA, wanted to put on a BP paper match at Raton and someone NOT working with the NRA came on this forum and said it was cancelled. I was really wanting to shoot that match and then shoot the BPCR silhouette matches ..that AARON ran and shot in. It's a shame that those matches are not being offered by the NRA..but maybe there's enough interest that there will be 1000 yard BPCR matches held by other organizations. Shooting BPCR at 1000 yards at the TUBB range was a bucket list goal .
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Glenn, what would it take to make it happen next year? Why not something like 1 day, 3 relays at 1000? Just throwin' it out there.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Guys,

I've never duplex'd with smokeless and BP and don't plan on doing so but being curious I was wondering what's are the advantages of duplexing? I assume one is less fouling, another is increased velocity. Any others?

BTW, I assume using 4F under 1.5F could be considered a duplex load but is legal. I've considered trying this when running into case capacity issues. I know some will respond, why not use 2F or 3F? Good idea but I only have some 4F and 1.5F.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com