No spotter match

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Aviator

Re: No spotter match

Post by Aviator »

desert deuce wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:34 pm ........ With that said I also issue a note of caution for his consideration in that some of the practitioners he may encounter along his journey are not exactly incorruptible.
You mean like the time that rascal Woody tells me "7 Left" on the last Ram, after hitting the first nine with 1 minute or less changes?
He did 'fess up though before I turned the knob..... :lol: (I may be a little too gullible)
Woody

Post by Woody »

What????

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Glen Ring wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:02 amWe inquired about F-class. Paper matches with long time limits just doesn't seem like fun for us.
You may have gotten some misinformation. An F-Class relay is 25min block-time most everywhere I've shot it. That includes the 3min 'ready', 2-sighters and 20-shots for record. If 25min for 22-shots is a long time then you've never shot BPTR, which is 30min for 14-shots which is 4-sighters and 10-shots for record. If shooting a BPTR 45-shot or 60-shot match, are even longer time periods, so one is shooting much faster in F-Class.
Glenn
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I think the pistol sports may have ruined me for rifle shooting. A shot a minute seems like a long time to me. I shot run and gun for years and have not completely made the transition to the slower times and increased yardage. I tried bullseye and it seemed slow. Ihmsa seemed slow. If Jeanne and I weren't cutting up I'd be bored with some of the other rifle sports and probably wouldn't shoot them. Even the slow fire sections of some pistol shooting was about 6 seconds a shot..most shoot much faster. Most of the shotgun stages were 5 shots and I could routinely hit the targets in under 2 seconds...but they were only 15 yards away. I thought being in my mid 60's I could adapt to the slower sports and I am trying...but my brain still wants to shoot too fast.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Woody wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:28 am What????

Woody
We always have a good time! :D
And good food too! :D
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I've shot several target matches on my own and did OK, but I can't imagine an iron sight silhouette match without a spotter. With many going to a scope on their rifle it should be more feasible to shoot a match without a spotter as many times you can see your hits.

If you want a slow match go to a Schuetzen match. I can fall asleep at one. I usually post several targets to shoot in one relay as I just can't wait to pull the trigger. To heck with letting the barrel cool or the breeze to be exactly the same as the shot 10 minutes ago. I never do well either so I don't go often, only if there is nothing else to shoot.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Woody

Post by Woody »

I'm with you on that John. I have not shot a Schuetzen for a number of years. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

So you have already had a taste of the mercurial moments under duress and survived. That's sort of what I was talking about. Sly devils wait until you are most vulnerable and distracted and WHAM, 7 minutes left. And always, always, keep your own time. And the list goes on.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Come on Zack, I have been working for a year with this one. I think I have him fooled. Don't spoil it.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Hear that Segundo? Next he will volunteer to adjust your sights for you. :shock:
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

HA!
I would let EITHER you OR Woody adjust my sights!

Am I gullible or what! :lol:
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

I shot Creedmoor with one particularly good spotter for several years and I learned most of what I know from him and his long time silhouette partner who was also a very good spotter. We did very well at the Lodi range for several years shooting together, he was often in first place and I finished in second. We often finished that way no matter where shot together.

It took me longer than it probably should have, but slowly figured out that he won and I was second place because he was the better spotter! Once I realized that I started winning a few matches. So Steve, you're not the only one who is a bit slow. You just need to become a better spotter then you can sit behind the spotting scope and giggle!

Note my tag line, "What is life but to be sport for our spotters and laugh at them in our turn?".
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Oh no, old border saying: Never put yourself in a position where you have to trust anyone.

And my favorite: Too soon old, too late smart.

And that old lead in: Trust me.