38-55

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

38-55

Post by Glen Ring »

A range lost it's BPCR program and my bud was a shooter there.
He has a very nice 1885 in 38-55 he has shot for years. Loss of the program and he's selling his rifle..it's perfect.
I had a 38-55 in Lever action silhouette and had one a short time for a few BPCR silhouette matches.

Those of you that have actually shot a 38-55 in Silhouette for a few years...What are your thoughts ??
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
beltfed

Re: 38-55

Post by beltfed »

That may be a good one for Silhouette, either as is to start with
and then maybe for rechambering to 38-50 Rem Hep.
Depends some on the twist. Would be good if it is a 12 twist or a 10
so it would stabilize heavier bullets.
beltfed/arnie
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Arnie I am watching the progress of a guy at our club who has a 38-50. I have no idea what the twist is in the 38-55 for sale. . My bud had it built at c-sharps over 10 years ago.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Ten years ago, a 15 twist was the norm for a 38-55. Faster twist rates were then being discussed and tried by a few. I shot a High Wall in a 15 twist and don't remember ever ringing a ram. Mild recoil and exceptional accuracy in mild conditions. But when the surf is up, it couldn't compete. I had it re-barreled to a 45-70 and still am shooting it with that caliber.

You asked.

Love it as a lever gun cal. I have a 94 take-down rifle in it, and it's my favorite lever gun.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
BFD

Post by BFD »

as some have said, a .38-55 as a bpcr cartridge may be best regarded as an expert's gun. An expert that is extremely good at wind calls and extremely good and breaking the trigger so that he can reliably shoot rams in the butt in a head wind if necessary. Garbe was one of those people. Moritz is one of those people. I am NOT one of those people. Give me a .45.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Nose, toes or his water hose...I can't pick a spot on a ram either. In Highpower the hot dogs shoot a 6BR and aim for the rear. If i buy it I'll at least give it a whirl before i make a decision. I had a 38-55 highwall and shot a match or two with it...but it had been put together poorly and the guts fell out of it during a match. Maybe I'll give it another whirl .
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

In years past I have shot a 15 twist 38-55 with a 325gr postel bullet. On occasion I did leave a ram standing. I have also worked as a RO and had the opportunity to watch a shooter with a faster twist 38-55 and she never left one standing but I think her bullet was up in the 380 or so range. More impressive than that was her ability to put one shot on top of the next on the rams. I have allso seen others do well with the caliber and that is at the Ridgway range and that can be a bit of a challenge as anyone who has shot there knows.
Hey if the price is right give it a try. Don't like it, sell or re-barrel it.
Sam
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

SAM
I agree with you and think I'll give it a whirl.
My wife shoots a couple of 40-65 highwalls.
This weekend a shooter complained to her the rams weren't falling and she looked at him and said " That's because you're shooting a Pu%#y rifle."

She spots for me so I'll be ready for her remarks if I ring a ram.

With her brutal efficiency at running matches comes her brutal honesty...I think it's kinda sexy .....even 43 years after we said I do!!!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Few could enter the Indy 500 with a stock 4-banger Toyota and win.
That is not to say it would be impossible but, would you bet on the stock 4-banger Toyota?
Yes, there are exceptions to rules but few are exceptional rule breakers. Are you one?

Don't go bear hunting with a switch.

Many of the best target scores I have seen shot and silhouette scores posted the 40-65 or 45-70 were the guilty parties choice of arrow.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Interesting reply...I LOVE beating the odds and LOVE those that think they can see into the future.
My reply to those so firm in their convictions of the unknown is this...If we both enter the same silhouette match and they are so sure my switch is not an appropriate tool..and if I beat them with my switch ( I am not a very good shot and this is only my second season in BPCR) will they give me their rifle if I win?

I have a 45-70, and two 40-65 highwalls and I've already talked to Steve Baldwin about a 40-65 barrel...but I may be tempted to leave that 38-55 barrel on there and have some real fun!!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I think Glen should buy the rifle and shoot it in competition.

There is a flip side to this also. It is a good choice for a kid, youngster or woman to start with. I had one with a 1-14 twist, shoot the 330 Lyman postell very well. A good many perfect scores were made at 200 yards in target rifle. :roll: Oh wait that was after I had it rechambered to a 38-50 RH.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
BFD

Post by BFD »

Glenn, how about we just shoot for hard cold cash?
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

ONce you get the rifle and while your checking the twist, also check the chamber length. Most seem to have the longer chamber that needs the longer Starline brass. Good thing to check before you order brass.
Sam
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

That was my initial intent Kenny was a rifle for my 12 year old grandson. Jeanne got him shooting 22 bpcr with a lighter rifle and he's pretty good now for a 12 year old. I just want him to shoot with me and experience shooting at Raton while staying in competitor housing...just a guy's week this summer. Lee Burrow and his grandson are going to do that i think and wouldn't it be great for Lee's grandson and mine to become shooting buds !!! Friends are dying right and left and I want to shoot with him while I still can. I think he can handle a 38-55..at least prone.

Brent..I will take cold hard cash if i won with an " inferior " rifle...but I'd rather have a naysayer hand me their rifle ..I would probably never take it , but I LOVE competition! I have a bud that still owes me $160.00. He bet me 20 bucks I could not jump and touch a 12 foot flag...while I was in jeans and boots..then he wanted double or nothing and he stopped at $160.00.

Sam
I'm buds with the fellow that ordered it new and he'll have the skinny on all that.. sad to see him give up a shooting sport.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Glenn, I'm willing to suit against you for money. When I am expecting you to come up with equal amounts of cash. This is beginning to sound like one of those you can't lose sort of wagers.

I'd have to see quite a pile of cash if you want to wager against the my rifle.