38-55

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Re: 38-55

Post by Glen Ring »

Oh Brent...I never bet equally.. I read The Art of War decades ago .it's a Bet with a challenger who proclaims that I cannot do something. I have never lost anything on a wager. Most folks don't catch that until they bet and then ask what I'm wagering...and that is always nothing to a challenger ..to test their convictions on an opinion of course. Brent ..I don't even think I own a suit....yes I know you meant shoot. No cash...you bet I can't beat you and if you lose I get your rifle...if I lose you get my gratitude and a hand shake. I probably would not take your rifle if I won..but I'd hold it for a while !
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Side bets anyone :mrgreen:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Where do you shoot silhouette George..I think I may need to tour a little next summer.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I think the start of this thread was asking about who had shot a 38-55 in silhouette. George if you have then please tell me of your experiences. If not then I'm still seeking information from those who have actual experience shooting a 38-55 in silhouette competition...
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

i haven't seen glen shoot, but i have seen brent.
if i was going to shoot against brent, i would bet my rifle against his.
if in the unlikely possibility i won, his rifle is better than mine.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

desert deuce wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:59 pm Side bets anyone :mrgreen:
zack,
i would like to see you shoot against brent, just for the honour of watching it.
i remember once nancy thompkins shot off against david tubb.
it would have been an honour to have watched that! (with a spotting scope)
any such match should be shot on paper.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Bruce
I have seen Brent shoot..I would put my money on Brent beating George in a silhouette match...but Brent is much taller, so he might have an advantage at the chicken line.
Bruce..I'm an average shot ..but I cannot get excited about competing unless I have a specific goal in mind. Instead of just showing up to shoot the breeze and eat good, some folks give me the incentive to practice and compete..it's the only way at this age that I can get excited about shooting. I appreciate and welcome a good contest.
Jeanne and I were just talking how much fun it will be next summer going from venue to venue shooting BPCR silhouette. We did that with lever action for years..now BPCR silhouette is fun and an excuse to travel. I need to make as many matches as possible because I am rapidly decomposing.

Jim Luke is trying to put on the lever action nationals at Raton next year...so maybe someone can do the BPCR silhouette nationals there also. Next summer Jeanne and I want to just shoot matches...and maybe our grandson will get to compete also with us.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

glen,
we all have a reason to do it.
the main thing is that you enjoy it.
if it becomes a job it might be time to give up.
i know the decomposing thing.
you just have to make the most of what you've got.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

My great friend Bruce, as a matter of fact (as I recall at this moment) the last time Brent and I shot BPCR together was for Long Range at Lodi in 2017. Brent was actually gracious enough to take the photograph of me accepting the match winner awards for both creedmoor regional and creedmoor cup that appeared in the Black Powder Cartridge News recently. In The Cup, Mr. Distant Thunder himself, Jim Kluskens, and I were paired. I scored for him he scored for me. Wish you could have been there Bruce, it was a contest much to your liking. Unfortunately I will miss shooting Lodi again this weekend.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

zack,
lets make it the best 5 out of 9 with you and brent - coach yourselves.
such a rifleman would go down in history.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

As usual this thread has turned into a pissing contest and had gotten completely away from the initial question. There are a few who shoot the 38/55 successfully in BPCR silhouette. There have been many more who have tried it and gave up because of too many rams hit that do not fall. If you shoot a big enough bullet and are good enough to hit them off center you will do better. I once heard a competitor say that he did not do well on rams until he learned to shoot at their heads. Others try to hit them in the butt. I know very few shooters capable of this kind of accuracy. My son shot a 38/55 his first year of competition and rang several rams. My solution was to go to a 40 caliber with a heavier bullet. My cartridge of choice was the 40/50 Sharps Straight. He shot it for 5 years and still hold 3 national records with it after 11 years. Two of those records are master scores for a Junior. He ran one ram during that time and that was in KY. The rams in KY this June were particularly difficult to put down with many hit with 40 and 45 bullets and just standing there. I was spotting for a shooter who hit one high in the back, a tenderloin shot and it didn't fall. It is discouraging when you make a good shot with a solid hit on the target and it doesn't fall. You will get more of these with a 38/55 than any other caliber. If you can live with this then go for it.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

I remember some one did testing on rams and to no surprise found that the rams that had a lean to them were more consistently being rung when the lean was toward the shooter. Not an uncommon problem as the older animals tend to bend toward the impact, add a wind from behind the animal and a low center hit, it compounds the problem for most any caliber.
If it's a fair price on a ready to go 38-55 then go for it understanding the limitations. The 40-65 is only a small step up in recoil and the load can be adjusted to minimize effect and loaded up later for full potential. Stock fit should also be a main consideration. Used 40-50's for sale are far and few between.

HG
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

john
I was about to mirror your words
If I buy the rifle it will be for my grandson..if he wants it. If not I'll have it re barreled to a 40-65.
i think i will eliminate those that just want to self promote or be Debbie downers. what i wanted to hear are from two experienced shooters like yourself and HG .
Now off to the range ( my backyard) to do a little offhand practice. thanks John.
TAA

Post by TAA »

I shoot a 40 2 1/2. However a good friend (no longer with us) shot a 38-55 in a scoped Model 74. He was recoil sensitive so used only 5744 and Unique. We would spot for each other. He never rang a ram. Can't recall the bullet.

In the early days of handgun silhouette, there was a range in Thief River Falls, MN (almost a 7-hour drive from the Rwin Cities) and they had the toughest rams. The feet were cupped a bit and if the rail was wet, those acted like they were glued to the rail. Even full house jacketed .44 Mags or .308 Winch in an XP-100, could not make a few of them go down!

Target and stand condition are big influencers.

FWIW

Tom
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Yes...targets and stands can mean a lot. A few years ago my first shot at the lever action nationals was a Ram. I hit it dead center with a 170 grain Speer bullet. I hit it so hard right in the middle dirt that had been painted over popped off and I thought I had broken the target in half..but it stayed on the rail !!
Glenda Graves saw what happened, walked up to me and said " Put more powder in that case Nancy!!"