Tang Sight adjustments

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mongo40

Tang Sight adjustments

Post by mongo40 »

Spent Saturday afternoon shooting my rifle for the first time and getting it zeroed. Its good at 100yds but I can shoot out to 300 where we are currently shooting at. Any techniques to adjusting the tang sight for 200 and 300 without walking my rounds in and having to shoot a lot of ammo up to get on target, appreciate any techniques or advice anyone might have. Thanks
Chris
Chris Wilson
Clarence

Re: Tang Sight adjustments

Post by Clarence »

Chris,

I don't have sight settings for 100yards, but you can come up 10-12 MOA for a rough 200yard zero. When you get that refined, come another 3 MOA for a rough 200meter zero, then 12 MOA more for 300meters, 11-12 MOA more for 385meters, and 20-22 MOA more for 500meters, refining and noting your exact setting before moving on the the next range. If you shoot in much cooler weather, it will take a little more correction at the longer ranges; for shooting in very warm weather, a little less. (This is for .40-65 at a velocity of ~1200 fps) You can use JBM Ballistics calculators to fine-tune that based on your actual velocity. I generally use 0.425 or so as a starting BC at standard conditions, and then correct it once I have a set of sight settings at a reasonably constant temperature.

Clarence
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Shooting is fun. Just keep walking your sight up until you get where you want to be. There ain't no pat answer. Every rifle is different and needs to be treated as such. Sorry. I'm old fashioned and just like to do things the old way. Gives you a lot more practice shooting too.

George
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

To each his own...

I prefer to get accurate sight settings when a rifle is new and to keep good records of sight settings at the various ranges I shoot and for each bullet I shoot. That way, I seldom need to make more than a minor sight adjustment after a couple of sighters, and I can concentrate on breaking good shots.

YMMV.

Clarence
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Chris
Give me a shout in the near future. I'll sign you in as a guest at the silhouette range at the Oklahoma city gun Club and I'll bring a spotting scope to help you get your sights set out to 500 meters.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Sounds like fun Glen! I'll get with you soon to see what's good, especially with it cooling off now!
Chris Wilson
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

use what clarence said should be good start points art
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

I do plan on writing down where the site is set for different distances and right now I'm only shooting one bullet and one load right now, just going to take a while to figure them out, good thing I got another fifty rounds of new brass yesterday!!!
Chris Wilson
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Dumb question but how else ya learn, I know what MOA (Minute of Angle) stands for but when you say move your sight 10-12 MOA are you referring to the tick marks on the side of the sight? Thanks
Chris
Chris Wilson
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Mongo,

Yes, for most rifles with 30" barrels, 1 mark on the vernier is ~1 MOA. Close enough for our work. And after you've fired a group on an animal and then moved the sights 1 MOA, you'll verify that, within the accuracy of your hold and assuming no atmospheric changes between the two groups.

Clarence
BFD

Post by BFD »

Clarence wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:05 am Mongo,

Yes, for most rifles with 30" barrels, 1 mark on the vernier is ~1 MOA. Close enough for our work. And after you've fired a group on an animal and then moved the sights 1 MOA, you'll verify that, within the accuracy of your hold and assuming no atmospheric changes between the two groups.

Clarence
Clarence, I find that is true for 32' barrels, not 30s. Not that it really matters a lot, but your sight radius relative to 36" is inversely proportional to your sight graduations where one point (0.010") = one nominal (not actual) MOA. That's the math of it.
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

I figured that was what you mint but wanted to be sure. Thanks

Chris W.
Chris Wilson
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Brent,

Yes, that is why I said close enough for our work. Given normal shooter error and spotter error, I've always found the assumption to work pretty well.

MVA sights, and I expect most others, are marked in 0.01" increments, not true MOA. Sight spacing on a 30" Shiloh is ~34.5", so slightly over 1 MOA/graduation. But, 1 MOA is 1.047" at 100 yds. IIRC, so compensates very closely for the reduced spacing (36/34.5=1.0435"/graduation).

If we want to be picky, a 32" Shiloh barrel would actually give ~0.95 true MOA/graduation.

Of course, each different brand of rifle would give different numbers because of different sight positioning.

Clarence
BFD

Post by BFD »

Clarence, that is right, but people call for 1 MOA when they want to move X inches at X00 yds. I really hate the term MOA because it's just wrong. Back in the early days, people called them "points" which seems more arbitrary, but at least it wasn't just wrong.

Anyway, 32" seems to most often give the closest approximation to nominal MOA graduations.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

If "MOA" is just wrong and "points" is too arbitrary what should we call the sight graduations so professor types can understand us common folk when we are giving them corrections?

Just wondering.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder