Why Do What We Do?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tuscarora

Why Do What We Do?

Post by Tuscarora »

In the medical field my daily job is answering the question, "Why?". And so I find that I am often asking myself the same in many areas outside of work. Lately, this new itch in particular!

Loading BP rounds today the question of why arose again in the form of, "why are my loads shooting better with a 0.60 plastic wad over my vegetable fiber wads with PP bullets?"

Additional cushioning of the bullet from powder detonation? And has anyone ever had an issue with plastic wad fouling?

Earlier this summer at a gong shoot, before having proper sights on my new rifle to join in, I observed an elderly gentleman who could barely stand and walk after getting off of the ground from shooting prone, and who was soundly kicking everyone's butts on the 1200 yard buffalo, in blustery wind conditions. After giving him enough time to finish cleaning and getting things in order I approached to ask my newbie why's and how's. Compared to what I had mostly read here I was quite shocked by the answers.

In short:
Shiloh 1874, 45-90, vernier sights, very well used.
He was wiping. With what? Tap water. Want a taste he asked? Some alcohol mixed in if the weather was extremely cold. Not anything else? His question to me was, "why, what do I need?"
Grease groove bullet, Postel, Brooks mold. Don't remember the exact weight, but over 500gr of Lyman No. 2. Really?
Compressed powder? Yes. Overpowder wad material? None. Zero? Yep. He asked me if he needed to (with a large smile)? Uhhhhh......? He pulled a finger seated bullet to prove it.

I've shot rifle competition of various styles for 40+ years. I am quite aware of peoples superstitions, voodoo magic, and what have you regarding shooting, reloading, holds, form, data, .......... But I see more variations on a theme with BP shooting than in any other discipline, hands down! Don't anyone get in a uproar as I don't know enough to question whether the water must come from the sink or toilet, plastic or metal container, distilled or rocky mountain spring water (twice boiled), etc. No stones being thrown here!

But I do have a healthy dose of the, "Why's"!
MSalyards

Re: Why Do What We Do?

Post by MSalyards »

On the plastic wad question , I was told that they seal better and most anybody knows more than I do! :D
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, "KISS" is still the best policy with most anything! I've adopted the saying of " Why there ain't no end to the things I don't know" ! :lol: All you can do is try and move forward with what has and is working for you presently and never be afraid to try something new if safe .
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Tuscarora,

What you witnessed was a very good shooter, not someone using a magic bullet and a secrete load.
How you load can only help you to a point, after that it is wind reading and trigger pulling ability that has to deliver the results.
The secret if any, for good shooting is trigger time.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Tuscarora

Post by Tuscarora »

MikeT,

We've all seen and know those individuals that have that touch from God in some shape or form; the guy who can build a show quality log cabin with a hatchet and pocket knife!

Yes, even in his advanced years, that gentleman knew how to shoot, and still can. Yet, he wasn't a believer in the minutiae seemingly at any level either. I have not tried out his loading techniques but do admire his simplistic approach that works for him. And it is that approach that stands out so starkly on one end of the spectrum here on just how to skin that cat!

Trigger time. Ah, yes. I shoot PRS and NRL22 here year around, not that I prefer this upcoming time of year for it, but can and do. Unfortunately I seem to be a bit late for the BPCR shooting sports boom here in Utah. Fast lock times and minimal recoil with an 18.5lb PRS rifle don't quite translate to BPCR shooting, but doesn't hurt either. I wish that I was putting as many rounds downrange on a monthly basis as with the other disciplines, but I can look forward traveling and shooting the warmer parts of the year with the BPCR!

Thanks!