Preferred BPCR Primers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Preferred BPCR Primers

Post by TexasMac »

I was under the mistaken impression that the majority of BPCR match shooters are now using large pistol primers. Following is the breakdown of the 20 shooters that attended the recent Texas 2020 Region Match. The overall winners of the iron and scope categories used CCI BR2 as did several others.

CCI BR2 Large Rifle Benchrest: 8
Federal Large Rifle: 3
Remington 2-1/2 Large Pistol: 3
CCI 300 Large Pistol: 2
CCI 200 Large Rifle: 2
Winchester Large Rifle: 1
Federal GM150M Large Pistol Match: 1

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
SSShooter

Re: Preferred BPCR Primers

Post by SSShooter »

Ha, ha.......... these days I use whatever I can find. Wish the henny-penny (the sky is falling) folks would stop buying up everything as soon as it hits the shelves. Drives prices up to crazy levels. Even worse with 22LR ammo.
Glenn
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

We use Federal large rifle magnum primers.
I agree with Glenn...speculators and price gougers are everywhere it seems.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I've been using Federal 210M primers for many years. Right now I have a good supply. I don't know if Federal is using the new compound in the match primers. Maybe someone knows and will post on here.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Fed 210M in 5 different rifles
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CCI BR-2 Large Rifle Benchrest ... bought when prices and quantity were favorable ... 4500 in inventory :D
Regards
John
Woody

Post by Woody »

Rem 2 1/2 for small diameter firing pins and CCI BR2 for original large diameter firing pins.

I may have fired my last match for a while with my 40-65 High Wall. I only have a few Large Rifle primers left. Several years of Large Pistol on hand. I didn't see this drought coming.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Woody wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:11 am CCI BR2 for original large diameter firing pins.

I may have fired my last match for a while with my 40-65 High Wall. I only have a few Large Rifle primers left. I didn't see this drought coming.

Woody
Woody - you will be shocked at the price when you see what the various vendors are asking for BR2 primers these days. Up over 50% at most. Very sad.
Glenn
Woody

Post by Woody »

I know Glenn. The few that I've found are double that of just a few months ago. I'll pass for now. I remember, under Clinton, a shop bought several truck loads of primers and created al local drought in the Denver metro area. He priced too high and held too long. In the end, he passed, and his heirs sold them for under the then current prices for a loss. I picked up several cases then and finally shot them out a couple of years ago. I've enough large pistol, small rifle and small pistol either already loaded or the components to keep me shooting at my current level for several years. I just neglected the large rifle primers too long.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

FYI, If you have an FFL or know someone that does and has an account with the distributor Zanders, they will accept back orders on primers including CCI BR2 with minimum orders per brand/type of 5000. And if your combined order is at least $500 the shipping is free.

BTW, their price is $260.50 for 5000 or $52.10/brick of 1000.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

My preferred primers are dependent on the brand & granulation of the powder I am loading, as well as the caliber of the rifle.
So I guess I have no special primer preference.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Have been happily using Fed 150 and 150M LP primers in all my BPCR rifles. 38 thru 45 cal,
Except for my TD where I use WLR
AND no problems with breechblocks, including Orig Hi walls, and modern SS rifles Brg and Ruger No 1 and No 3s

beltfed/arnie
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

beltfed wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:29 pm Have been happily using Fed 150 and 150M LP primers in all my BPCR rifles. 38 thru 45 cal,
Except for my TD where I use WLR
AND no problems with breechblocks, including Orig Hi walls, and modern SS rifles Brg and Ruger No 1 and No 3s
beltfed/arnie
Essentially the same for me as I'm the one guy in the original posting list that uses the GM150M LP primers. Although I do use various LR primers in the Springfield Trapdoor carbine due to concerns of breechblock damage.

Wayne
bobw

Post by bobw »

Any large rifle primer you have is better than any other brand you do not have. Bobw
bobw
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Woody, you might try CCI-300's if you have any in the 40-65.
Dave Mauer pointed us in that direction years ago and they work for us with Swiss. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!