Compressing Swiss Fg in 45-110

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

Compressing Swiss Fg in 45-110

Post by opencountry »

I’ve been using Goex Fg for many years in my 45-110 using pp loads, and have been pretty happy with the results. I’m interested in trying some Swiss Fg in it just to see if I can wring out any better accuracy than I’m getting with Goex Fg.
Goex Fg likes to be compressed a lot, especially in the long powder column of the 45-110.
Can anyone using Swiss Fg in their 45-110 give me a good starting compression to try? I’m shooting pp bullets, and seating them @ 1/8” into the case mouth. I’ve been compressing 111.0 grains of Goex Fg nearly .4”, adding wads, then seating the patched ball.
Looking for some starting data using Swiss Fg.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
MSalyards

Re: Compressing Swiss Fg in 45-110

Post by MSalyards »

PM sent.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

use a charge that allows the wad to be level with the top of the neck.
then compress it 1/10" and finger seat the bullet.
compare with compress 1/8" as a starting point.
also compare with droptubing up to the wad being 1/10" below the mouth.
above assumes all charges droptubed before compression.
a little compression is safer for the bullet not compressing the powder when you load the rifle.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
semtav

Post by semtav »

bruce m wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:26 pm
Bruce,
I am curious about a couple things when only seating a PP bullet that shallow in the case.
What is the final cartridge like?
I know most put a little tension on the bullet to keep it from falling out , but is it still a little precarious in the case and able to wobble around a little bit?
Do they stay straight or can they tilt in the case a little bit, relying on the bore to to center it?
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Robert, I don't have specific compression nubers written down, but I've been using Swiss Fg and Kenny's wad stack in my 14 lb bull barrel rifle and it shoots quite well. Maybe this will be a useful starting point.

WLR primer
106.5gr Swiss Fg ( lot 120.907)
I add a 0.060" veg wad and a 0.060" LDPE and compress to 0.265" from case mouth. Then I add a 0.125" dry felt wad ( from Sage Outfitters ).
I'm using a 446535M bullet in 16:1 wet patched with Seth Cole 55W paper.

Chris.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thanks for the specifics, Chris. So far I like what I’m experiencing with the Swiss 1Fg in the 45-110 with pp. On top of all the benefits mentioned it even burns cleaner than the Goes 1Fg.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

semtav wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:18 am
bruce m wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:26 pm
Bruce,
I am curious about a couple things when only seating a PP bullet that shallow in the case.
What is the final cartridge like?
I know most put a little tension on the bullet to keep it from falling out , but is it still a little precarious in the case and able to wobble around a little bit?
Do they stay straight or can they tilt in the case a little bit, relying on the bore to to center it?
I seat mine .080 in the case and in a MTM box have no issues making the trip to the Q from Wi. I put enough crimp on them, so I can wiggle them and the bullet doesn't fall out. With the un-sized case, and your bore dia bullet, it all should be aligned perfectly with your rifle. The DDPP makes this even better by, adding a leade angle to the bullet centering it even further. There are some here who just wrap there bullets and seat them in the case, as they shoot. Ether way I dont think you can go wrong, I believe it will just be down to personal preference

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

brian,
my loads are with dd bullets and no neck sizing, just finger seating.
having worked out the diameters of my bullet, i probably have about 0.001" clearance on the bullet in the case.
the slight clearance makes getting the bullet started in the case that bit easier.
they are a bit wobbly, and can fall out with careless handling.
in cartridge boxes i put a bit of foam stuff on top to keep things snug for transport, nose up.
on the range i have no problems if due care is taken..
personally i have found no difference in accuracy between 0.080 in the case and 0.125, but others might well have.
my latest iteration of dd moulds goes about 0.125 in the case with the diameter transition up against the rifling to ensure same coal.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus