So what does yours weigh?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

So what does yours weigh?

Post by Trigger1212 »

Good Morning Gents,

Hope everyone survived Thanksgiving, I was in a severe Turkey Coma for a bit but pulled through.

I just received my first honest to goodness Shiloh, built to my specs, 40-65, when putting it together it was with the understanding that it may be the only Shiloh I'll ever have built so got what I wanted with looks playing a fairly large role in the build. I'll "show" it later after I've had a chance to wring it out a bit.

Having said that the only hard and fast requirement was that it had to make BPCR irons weight, it made it, by a hair!

I've got a very nice roller in 45-70, half round 30" bbl that hits the scales right at 10 lbs with MVA mid-range soule rear and Distant Thunder front. I really like that weight for carrying and off-hand, but I know the Shiloh will a pussy cat off the sticks at that weight and with that round.

Wondering what your favorite BPCR rifles weigh? I imagine the primary consideration will be weight (and balance) for off-hand as belly shooting that is close to a non-factor other than lessening recoil impulse, which actually IS important laying on your belly with your neck craned up!

Thanks!

Wade
Clarence

Re: So what does yours weigh?

Post by Clarence »

My Shiloh #1 in .40-65 with heavy half-round barrel weighs ~11 lb. 12 oz. I did have a #1 in .45-70 with heavy full octagon that weighed right at the 12 lv. 2 oz. limit. My current .45-70 with heavy half weighs 11 lb. 6 oz. All the above have steel shotgun butts; none have pewter tip. It all depends on wood density....

Clarence
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

#1 Sporter, 45-70, 30" heavy, steel bp. Nice wood 11.7 pounds.
Sam
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I've had 12 lb rifles and did not like them. I like mine about 11 lbs. Mine weigh from slightly under 11 lbs to nearly 11 1/2 lbs on my 40/70 with a 32" barrel.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

The .40-65 Brownchester, .40 LRML, .45 LRML all weigh a hair under 12#. The 45-100 built from a Brownchester weighs just under 15. Most of my schuetzen OH rifles weigh ~12#, but the long-time favorite 32 cal is right at 16# with scope. Most of the 22RF are around 11-12#.
CHRIS
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I’m a bench, and cross-stick shooter. I have a 12-pound Sporter #1 with the pistol grip in 45-90. I also own a 16-pound Sporter #1 in 45-110, and another 16-pound’er in 45-110 being built right now. They’re all a pleasure to shoot, whether in competition with myself, or in competition against others.

Paper-patching forever!
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.