Pistol Primers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: Pistol Primers

Post by mdeland »

I see from my first post after reading it again this AM that I mistakenly implied my 1911 is a Kimber. I have a series 80 Colt I've re-barreled (Bar-Sto) and custom outfitted with all sorts of modifications like slide tightening, beaver tail safety, fitting new sear/hammer etc. to learn how to smith the 1911 design. I have shot and worked on Kimber 1911's though and am impressed with the quality right out of the box.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

You are correct...I meant the case mouth and not the rear rim. Poor choice of words.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Glen Ring wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:38 pm Brian
I initially had problems with my kimber and lead bullets. It was a simple head space problem and once I seated the bullet far enough and made sure of the OAL and that the round could headspace on the case rim and not on the rim of a lead bullet, it was flawless.

The tight tolerances of a Kimber 1911 are not as forgiving as my Glock.
Glen,

Ammo bought off the shelf, multiple flavors, some work, some don't, appears to be a gun problem not ammo
Seems to be a number of rounds through it thing, if I so choose to bang 500 rds through it then the sob better work flawlessly, everybody else's seems to.

I got far more use out of it with my 22conv on it
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

You need to have the head space checked with a gauge in that Kimber. Sounds like a short chamber to me if some factory rounds won't chamber.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

mdeland wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:09 am You need to have the head space checked with a gauge in that Kimber. Sounds like a short chamber to me if some factory rounds won't chamber.
Clambering is not the problem, it's having to bump the rear of the slide to get it to go the last .75 inch into battery, it's a feed issue.

See what you've done, now I act like a gunsmith :roll:

Knock it off
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

changed my Remington 10mm recoil spring as I had the same problem as you......problem solved. I also had FTF, that was a slide stop, Ed Brown fixed that. Now runs as fast and as long as I want. My chamber is really tight though, as I cant run cast lead ammo .001 over size, I would rather have tight chamber than loose.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

A head space go gauge will tell the story right away and I am a schooled gun mechanic !