Lever Gun Accuracy?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: Lever Gun Accuracy?

Post by mdeland »

The bore in the picture is pitted but both the land corners and groove profiles are still strong and sharp in profile . The picture is also magnified probably in the 20-24 x range. Scope a brand new bore in the same magnification range with any rifling type used today and unless lapped will look rougher than a cob as well with machine marks.
Why should reaming scratches, rifling gall marks or button chatter be any less likely to cause leading or be any better for accuracy than is some light to moderate pitting? All of these machining flaws are present and can be seen in brand new factory and many custom barrels that have not been lapped out well, under a good bore scope.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Shoot , now I'm going to be cruising the gun shows looking for a 93 Marlin that needs an overhaul in 38-55! :lol:
Old-Win

Post by Old-Win »

BFD wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:20 pm My guns are definitely not MOA lever guns. Not even the ones with brand new barrels. But then my guns are never as good as everyone else's on the 'net.
If you're referring to my post, that's at 100 yards. I'm very happy with it thinking it would be a lot worse with the condition of the bore. It looks like some shooters can do well with a 2-3 minute lever gun.