Working on a new 45-90 load...

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

Working on a new 45-90 load...

Post by opencountry »

Back in May of 2013 I received my custom-built .45-90 #1 Sporter. I immediately ordered a couple of .459”-dia./.457”-nosed Postell bullet moulds from Paul Jones. I casted in 16:1. I performed a ladder test of 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, and 80 grains of Swiss 1.5 blackpowder. Using Starline brass, a Lee sizer, DGL lube, Federal 205M primers I found the 78-grain load the most promising, giving me an honest 1/4” c-c 5-shot group at 100 yards.
I ordered some more 1.5 Swiss today to work up a good load(s) in the same 45-90, and both of my 110’s. I’m not stopping until I reach the same success level with the 530-grain .443” Money bullet wrapped in 9 lb. cotton paper!
Wish me luck,
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
bruce m

Re: Working on a new 45-90 load...

Post by bruce m »

robert,
i wish you luck, but ask you how repeatable that 1/4" grouping was at 100 yds.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

how you get Fed205 primers to stay in?? Im guessing they were 210m's??
If you have any of that old powder left, measure it out in volume then use that volume for your new lot of powder....it should be close to the same speeds and accuracy. good luck on your quest and have fun!!!!!
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

My mistake; Federal GM150M’s.

Back to the 100-yard groups. I don’t want to sound arrogant, or like I’m bragging or nothing like that. I consistently took 300,400,600 and 800 1st place wins with this rifle and it’s load. I’ve shot centerfire benchrest matches most of my life, and have been exposed to the shooting sport all of my life since I was thirteen years old in the Junior NRA. I’m seventy years old now, still have 20/20 vision. I try hard to wring out every bit of a rifle’s potential; I really love the challenge! All I can say is, it’s (this particular Shiloh) a very well-made/built rifle! I feel very lucky to have become it’s owner!
Respects,
Robert
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Good morning, you guys and gals.
I reread my post this morning, and after reading it I realize my reply certainly did lean on the arrogant and bragging side. I’m eating humble pie this morning. Sorry, everyone. To be honest, that 1/4” group was the only one. Many were close to that, but it was the very best I ever shot at 100 yds. with this rifle. But, but I’m determined to do the same with a good pp Swiss load when this cold spell passes!

Have a good day,
Robert
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I never take it that someone is bragging or arrogant when they talk about a tight group that they have shot, or how good they have done in matches or records they have set. It is exciting when something comes together and works out for you in this sport. Sometimes it all just falls into place with a rifle or a certain bullet, that's great. Sometimes it takes a while to get it all worked out for a rifle and load, powder, lead, primers and so on, plus all the time spent loading ammo. I've experienced both, nothing wrong with saying hey guys look what I got!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I enjoy seeing the pics. of the targets and enjoy reading the makeup of the load. It also shows all of us what these rifles are capable of doing if we give it our best and take the time to do it. I like to read what works, and what didn't work.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thanks, pal. I ditto what you said of these Shilohs; they’re incredible. I wonder sometimes if the rifles Shiloh builds for us are not even better than the originals!
During a 1,000-yd. match a fellow shooter, who was a very skilled greaser shooter, said to me “You’re not competing with paper-patch, are you?!” I didn’t say a word. I was scoring his shots in the pits that day. His last shot hit DEAD center in the X in the X ring, and he inched past me. He beat me, and for his sake I was glad that he did. But, I know what he witnessed that day in a pp load will never leave him.

It’s all good,
Robert
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

yes, beyond a doubt , the current built shilohs are better than the originals. better machinery , better materials,and the desire to make them the best art
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

[quote=Coltsmoke post_id=321808 time=1607526262 user_id=53745]
I never take it that someone is bragging or arrogant when they talk about a tight group that they have shot, or how good they have done in matches or records they have set. It is exciting when something comes together and works out for you in this sport. Sometimes it all just falls into place with a rifle or a certain bullet, that's great. Sometimes it takes a while to get it all worked out for a rifle and load, powder, lead, primers and so on, plus all the time spent loading ammo. I've experienced both, nothing wrong with saying hey guys look what I got!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I enjoy seeing the pics. of the targets and enjoy reading the makeup of the load. It also shows all of us what these rifles are capable of doing if we give it our best and take the time to do it. I like to read what works, and what didn't work.
[/quote]

Colt I couldn’t agree more, I like to hear success stories also and do not consider it as being arrogant or bragging. My dad used to say it ain’t a brag if you did it.

It seems that the only people that don’t like it are small minded, or have has no personal success themselves in this game, and are simply expressing jealousy and envy. Especially If all you can shoot is Pyrodex :mrgreen:

Remember once a pig, always a pig.

The Lunger
Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

opencountry wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:26 pm Thanks, pal. I ditto what you said of these Shilohs; they’re incredible. I wonder sometimes if the rifles Shiloh builds for us are not even better than the originals!
During a 1,000-yd. match a fellow shooter, who was a very skilled greaser shooter, said to me “You’re not competing with paper-patch, are you?!” I didn’t say a word. I was scoring his shots in the pits that day. His last shot hit DEAD center in the X in the X ring, and he inched past me. He beat me, and for his sake I was glad that he did. But, I know what he witnessed that day in a pp load will never leave him.

It’s all good,
Robert
robert,
that shooter would not be zack by any chance?
in case i am one being referred to re the 1/4" group comment, i was not trying to be negative,
i know how rare 1/4" groups are with modern rifles and 36x scopes off a benchrest, and have always said to myself that 1 group doth not an accurate rifle make.
i suspected that you meant your best group.
i think that id you can hold 1 moa vert at your longest range for all shots, you are pretty well covered for most black powder competitions.
i do believe that properly loaded ammunition in a well shot bpcr with correct wiping can be seriously accurate, better than 1 moa.
also that bore diameter pp bullets can equal greasers with added benefits like reduced probability of leading and less wind deflection.
i am sure kenny was not referring to me with his comment regarding pigs.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Bruce I most certainly was not.

Kenny
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Bruce, I don’t remember his name. I forget names to a fault, but never forget a face. That means that my eyes are smarter than my brain, IF so even have one. Lol. I do remember him as a very skilled long range shooter. He commented that his ss hex barrel was a Shilen. Sounds like you may know him. Tell him hello from me, and that I may be up again for another shoot this coming year.
I attempted to equal my original 5-shot 1/4” 100-yard group; the first three went into what looked like one hole through my spotting scope, the forth made the group grow, and I quit at four. The group is a true 3/8”.
I had a Shiloh in 45-70 that performed just like the 45-90 did (does), but I let it go to a fella that just had to have it when I bought my first 45-110.
Robert
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

There IS one thing I have proven to myself that has really helped my Shilo shooting - a very light set-trigger setting. I like a very light trigger. All of my bench rifles have the best triggers $ can buy. I can’t find any weakness in the Shilo triggers, none. They break very, very clean. I set my finger on the side of the trigger, and just get up on it a little, and begin my focusing and breathing. I’m in my ‘bubble’...and then it’s over. It’s a thrill, and I hope that I’m always able to keep shooting as I have been since I first pulled a trigger as a kid.
Robert
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

OC, yup-those PJ Postell bullets are amazing. :wink:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:38 pm OC, yup-those PJ Postell bullets are amazing. :wink:
Gary
👍 Enjoy, Gary.
Robert