Downloaded

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ChrisF

Downloaded

Post by ChrisF »

Does anyone down load the 45/70? If so what is your recipe
desert deuce

Re: Downloaded

Post by desert deuce »

What is the purpose of your question in requesting a 'light' load for a 45-70 ?

Are you looking for light as in indoors at 50 feet with enough energy to penetrate ordinary copy paper ?

Or, barely enough energy to topple a steel chicken at 200 meters 51% of the time ?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I just had major thoracic surgery and want to still shoot my 70 but with less recoil. I have a .450gr Mould instead or 535gr. Hoping that would help and would also try reducing powder
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Still hoping to make the Rams
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I realize shooting the big bores may not happen again but I don’t have money for a rebarrel or a new gun
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Chris, My chicken load is a 420 grain Lyman lever gun mould and 58 grains of Goex 3F. The bullet sits deep and with that I'm getting minimal compression. It is very accurate to chickens and I suspect it would carry out to Pigs maybe Turkeys or Rams. I've never tried.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

If you just want to shoot, drop that bullet weight down to 330 grains or so and reduce the powder charge to 55 grains. Worth a try but a lot would depend on the twist of your rifling.

George
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

1:18
craneman

Post by craneman »

Chris,
When my son started shooting at the Quigley at age 10 he was using a 45-70 that I duplexed and downloaded. 540 gr Paul Jones money bullet over 4.5 grains reloader 7 and 48 grains Kik2f with a wad stack i don't remember but I know there was a 3/8" cork wad in there. This load was very accurate and easy shooting. He placed with it one year in small fry and my buddy's daughter won the junior division one year with the same load and rifle. Now I realize you won't be duplexing but downloading will work. I only duplexed his load for a few years wanting him to concentrate on form and trigger control without having to worry about fouling management. I would also recommend this recoil pad. My shooting shoulder has suffered separation and torn rotator cuff and I nseem to be able to shoot anything I want wearing it. Without it I am done after one relay.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/medium-righ ... shield-mrs
This pad comes in small medium and large.
Cheers!
Todd
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks I use that exact one
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I can not get PM’s I tàlked to Lucinda but not resolved yet
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I use the Lyman 457677. Google the pic of the bullet and you'll see how deep it can be seated. The bullet drops around 480 something but eats up a LOT of powder space in the case. It is my Chicken load but not to shabby at the pigs with the VERY light load of powder I use. Jeanne shoots a 40-65 with 400 grain bullets and she can shoot my chicken load easily. I have tried other Lyman lighter weight bullets, but my gun doesn't like them.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

i have not tested it, but i have an rcbs mould that patches to groove.
a lot of this bullet has to be in the case, eating up powder space.
with a grease wad and a card or veg wad each side of the wad, it could be worth a peep at.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus