Bore Pigs - How do you use them during a match?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

Re: Bore Pigs - How do you use them during a match?

Post by Trigger1212 »

For you MPro7 users. How do you clean them/the felts with that stuff on them?

Water soulable oil is pretty straight forward. Not sure what MPro7 is based on or what to clean it with.

Kenny, same for GM antifreeze. How do you clean your felts of that stuff? Many years as a mechanic, antifreeze Raines right up there with 80/90 gear oil for substances I don’t like. Sticky residue and not something that you can just rinse off w water. How do you go about it?

Thanks

Wade
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Trigger1212 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:14 pm For you MPro7 users. How do you clean them/the felts with that stuff on them?

Water soulable oil is pretty straight forward. Not sure what MPro7 is based on or what to clean it with.

Kenny, same for GM antifreeze. How do you clean your felts of that stuff? Many years as a mechanic, antifreeze Raines right up there with 80/90 gear oil for substances I don’t like. Sticky residue and not something that you can just rinse off w water. How do you go about it?

Thanks

Wade
Wade,
Garment bag, washing machine, air dry...done :D
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Put in a container shake and rinse several times. Touch of oxyclean shake let set for 30 mins then rinse and dry.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Thanks for the reply’s Gents. Sounds pretty much the same routine as for cutting oil/ water. Thought it would have taken a bit more than that, at least for the AF. Not sure of the composition of MPro7.

Wade
Woody

Post by Woody »

I have the Buffalo Arms wipers and am still learning how to be comfortable with them during a match. I used them with Mpro7 while shooting the 3 x 600 in Georgia in November. I was shooting irons and a postell greaser and dropped a total of 28 points out of a possible 300 for a second place finish. I was beat by two points and a scoped rifle. Anyway I was using the BACO wiping system. Via Aviator, and Brent Danielson, I use a damp following patch. If I use a dry patch with greasers, I lead. Damp patch, no leading.

For cleaning, I just throw the felts into my tumbler with a little dish soap and water. Let er rip for .5 to 1 hour rinse, and spread out to dry till the next time. No possibility of contaminating the washing machine or dish washer etc.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

woody,
i thought you were exclusively a blowtuber.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Woody

Post by Woody »

Never too old to learn something new. I've been shooting silhouette with Aviator and he is a wiper. But for the most part yes I'm a tuber.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

at one time i thought you and zack might come to blows over this issue.
but then zack has no choice due to living where he does.
life is easy for him there as that choice is made for him.
has covid affected your ability with the blowtube?
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Woody

Post by Woody »

It probably has for the moment. I have no reserve energy yet. I am able to work in my shop. Slow but steady. They did put me on supplemental O2 for sleep and activity. In reality I don't know if I can tube. I don't have the energy to shoot these rifles yet.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

that is sad woody, but better than the alternative.
take it as it comes and hopefully you will get back to normal.
so much is still not known about this disease yet.
all you can do is play the cards you are dealt, and i know you will play them to the best of your ability.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I had - past tense - , (2 in particular), problems with the BACO Bore Wipes in .40-65.

While I am not certain the cause, and could care less, the solution was adapting the procedure.

Being it was 78F and 11% humidity ambient yesterday with an in my face breeze I started with two felts on the spike for the 40-65 and quickly reduced that to one as occasionally the second felt would compress and hang up in the transition from the chamber.

I also noticed the pigs seemed harder than previously to push with the delrin rod through the bore. Having had that problem before I had a bit of cheapo olive oil with me and dabbed it on the O-rings and that solved that problem. Next I am going to store the wipes with olive oil on the 0-rings to see if that will keep them from getting so hard.

As for number with 40-65, 45-70 or 45-90 I can get away with 18 for mid-range (though I don't normally use that many in a string of record fire) if 10 shot strings because there is more time between relays, and, if you are shooting silhouette and ten shots in 12 minutes for ten animals without stopping then 18 on the line is usually enough but there is less time between relays so I have 40 and sometime during the match I change the felts out on a few at a time between relays to cover the normal 54 shots I fire by the end of the match. Probably depends on how the match is run where you are shooting.

Like Aviator, in long range I have at least 60 ready to go before the first relay is called to the line for ten shot record strings. Of course if the match has 15 shots for score relays I will probably have to change felts before the last relay. Better to have a few too many than not enough.

I have evolved to using MPro-7 cleaner exclusively so far with the Baco Bore Wipes. Other shooters here use one arsenal patch with Audi/Volkswagon Antifreeze part number (G012A8G1G) mixed 50/50 with distilled water for the 40-65 with satisfactory results for silhouette shooting from the shade.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Crikey Zac... this is getting up there with the recipes for ribs that was circulating earlier :? . Might have to chase up some of this MPro 7 and give it a whirl.
... now the added olive oil clearly wont be a 'dry rub' then :?: :shock:

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

j.b.
does your club do ribs for after the shoot?
good ones might increase membership. :idea:
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

zack,
have you tried K Y gel instead of olive oil?
oh no, now we are back around to sexy cartridges again.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

"Audi/Volkswagon Antifreeze part number (G012A8G1G)".........you are kidding right? Not something you find in cow country! It's way better than Orielly's Anti freeze choices?
kw