Bore Pigs - How do you use them during a match?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

beltfed

Re: Bore Pigs - How do you use them during a match?

Post by beltfed »

FWIW,
HIstorically, i have used only distilled water for wetting patches or bore pigs
But, now,
I am really liking the use of RV Antifreeze . So far using it straight here in
the frozen tundra of WI during my shooting the Frostbite 200. I think I will try it during the warm weather this year,
probably diluting it some with distilled water.
beltfed/arni8e
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I tried the rv antifreeze, worked ok in colder temps, but is a dismal failure during the heat and low humidity of the summer here.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Was just looking at MPro7 and can pick up a gallon for $59.00 free shipping on Amazon

The majority here seems to vote for the MPro. Seems like an awe full expensive way to go. I guess it’s because I envisioned using cutting oil and water, pretty cheap mixture, pouring a good amount in a Tupperware container, give them a good shake to remove the excess just before use and away you go.

Looking at the MPro, everyone appears to use it straight. How do you control the usage? Using my application method I can see it being gone PDQ.

What’s the viscosity of that stuff? A little thick or is it thin like Hoppes 9? I’m making bore pigs using the bore brushes w felts on either end and a washer. So if it’s think at all I can see a lot of it staying on the pig = use it up faster.

How do you MPro guys apply it to your pigs?

Thanks

Wade
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Gents

Two other points in case it makes a difference on recommended wiping fluid.

1. For now will be starting with greasers. Does that make a difference on wiping fluid recommendations?

2. From a weather point of view I currently live in Illinois, hope to be moving to Michigan in the next year or so. So will primarily be shooting in the mid-west temps and humidity, which covers a big range given the seasonal swings.

Thanks

Wade
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

"Audi/Volkswagon Antifreeze part number (G012A8G1G)".........you are kidding right? Not something you find in cow country! It's way better than Orielly's Anti freeze choices?
kw
I don't know KW but if emulation is the sincerest form of flattery then I copy what the successful shooters are doing and that is why I included the part number for the anti-freeze they/I are using. I tried it and found it satisfactory beyond anything else I had tried for patching and ventured to share that here on the forum.

FYI, have tried Prestone yellow and red and found the Audi best when mixed 50/50 with distilled water on Arsenal Patches in the 40-65 if one uses the wiping method and doesn't have the bore wipes. I use a Potato Ricer to squeeze most of the liquid out, Chip uses a plastic bag to put the patches and fluid in and hand squeezes the liquid out. Both of us use fairly damp patches. I use a .38 cal rifle nylon brush on the tip of my delrin rod with a large glass bead glued on the tip of the brush to prevent push through and he uses a delrin rod with a shaped tip.

As for using the MPro-7 cleaner, well, I copied Gullo and Venhouse on that one. I do not soak the felts or leave them submerged in the mix, I just dip them quickly and out. Uses about 1.5 ounces of fluid for 50 .45 cal bore wipes with two felts on the spike, if I don't spill any.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

desert deuce wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:10 am
"Audi/Volkswagon Antifreeze part number (G012A8G1G)".........you are kidding right? Not something you find in cow country! It's way better than Orielly's Anti freeze choices?
kw
I don't know KW but if emulation is the sincerest form of flattery then I copy what the successful shooters are doing and that is why I included the part number for the anti-freeze they/I are using. I tried it and found it satisfactory beyond anything else I had tried for patching and ventured to share that here on the forum.

FYI, have tried Prestone yellow and red and found the Audi best when mixed 50/50 with distilled water on Arsenal Patches in the 40-65 if one uses the wiping method and doesn't have the bore wipes. I use a Potato Ricer to squeeze most of the liquid out, Chip uses a plastic bag to put the patches and fluid in and hand squeezes the liquid out. Both of us use fairly damp patches. I use a .38 cal rifle nylon brush on the tip of my delrin rod with a large glass bead glued on the tip of the brush to prevent push through and he uses a delrin rod with a shaped tip.

As for using the MPro-7 cleaner, well, I copied Gullo and Venhouse on that one. I do not soak the felts or leave them submerged in the mix, I just dip them quickly and out. Uses about 1.5 ounces of fluid for 50 .45 cal bore wipes with two felts on the spike, if I don't spill any.
kw,

Not kidding.
Was being used in 45-100 I've acquired, tried same method/audi/volks # in 2 45-70's, '74's, one Shiloh, one C Sharps, a C Sharps Hi Wall 40-65
Works very well, patches are damp prepped same way ALL guns/calibers, potato ricer.

When hot out, & feel patch drag later in 8 or 10 shot string, run a third patch. Bore "feels" smooth like two patched run. Steve Rhoades wiping rods, ALL guns/calibers

Pro Shot 2" patches, 100% cotton all guns/calibers

It's worked 3 seasons, all guns/calibers :D

As far as, "It's way better than Orielly's Anti freeze choices?" don't know, don't care, someones already been down that path & THEY'RE using Audi # & distilled water. The 45-100 came to me that way, I've continued it, appears to work quite sufficiently.

45-100 25/1 money. Looking at the nose profile, I don't believe it, but that's what the BACO mould says
ALL other calibers 16/1 money

45-100. Combination set a new course record, 36-40, at 8, 9, 1000 & 1000 last summer :wink:
Right after that I believe I laid 6/10 on the buffalo at 1200 yds headed into a shoot off :P

1200 yds ain't no joke, that extra 200yds is a huge problem :shock:

kw, not kidding

What's it like in the mountains of Montana?
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Don't know how many times I've read this thread, and probably missed what I am going to ask. Has anyone used the MPRO-7, wiping with just patches, either arsenal or cotton.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

I know a top shooter that we all have read of lately, that cleaned up at the Alliance and Nevada shoots and others, that swears by Prestone rv fluid for his fouling control using just patches. To each their own, just have to find what works.
kw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

charlie young wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:33 pm Don't know how many times I've read this thread, and probably missed what I am going to ask. Has anyone used the MPRO-7, wiping with just patches, either arsenal or cotton.
Yes, it works. Dang spendy, and not sure that it works any better than just Napa cutting oil and water.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Thanks Don, I just thought they may stay more consistent as far as holding moisture. Sometimes the NAPA/Water will lose moisture content on a hot windy day, even on the same relay. Maybe storing them in a baggie instead of my little tuperware thing may be a better option.

I have been trying the BACO wipers, but am having mixed results depending on the rifle. To be perfectly honest, I tried the blow tube again after a 13 year hiatus and was surprised with the results and love the simplicity. But it was also a cool moist evening.
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

Ha, Ha,.. I'm with you Charlie.
Recently shot a 500 yard cartridge rifle event at the Australian Muzzle-loading Championships. The firing line was set up so that wiping was going to be a problem. Had to go back to blow tubing my .45-90, won the event with a 46/50, definitely no fouling problems on a sunny 80F day. ( Actually beat that with a 48/50 in the M/L event afterwards :D )
I usually run the Buffalo Arms bore wipers with two felts using ballistol/water @ 1:5 mix pushed through with a dry patch, in both my .45-90 and .40-70SS, works down here. Tried the MPro-7, too many $$$$ and too hard to get here for me.
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
Woody

Post by Woody »

Having been a dyed in wool blow tuber all of my BPCR competition career, I shot this past weekend using the BACO pigs and Mpro7. Aviator has been setting the example for me, so what the heck, why not give it a try. I won the match and shot my first master score in a number of years. Was it the bore wipes, the MPro7, the 2018 Swiss, or the superior spotting skills of Aviator? Probably all of the above. Never too old or proud to try something new..

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Charlie, for patch wiping the napa/water patches even dried out work fair when pushed thru the bore on a brush.
One thing that did catch my attention right away with the Mpro it seems to make the bore wiper felts swell up quite a bit, don't know if that will continue as the felts age, but it sure turned brand new ones into a problem.
At Alliance, I had Emily use the Mpro riced patches to wipe the Winchester with, and it worked well, bore cleaned up quick after each day, and the accuracy held up. It was fairly cool and damp and I had the patches in tupperware type tub, they didn't seem to dry out. Guess I ought to go check them and see, they've been in the tub about 3 weeks now. Those 2 1/2 in pro shot flannels sure soaked up a lot of the juice, but it worked out ok, as I riced them over the tub containing the brand new bore wipers.
craneman

Post by craneman »

I'd like to relate my experiences thus far. When I switched to the M-Pro 7 several years ago I saw an accuracy increase and was happy. At Alliance in August of 2019 my Browning BPCR started experiencing erratic shots and then the hammer wouldn't stay in the full cock position. I switched to my backup rifle and went on. When I got home I tore the action down and it was full of the most gummy sticky residue one could imagine. As many know this isn't the kind of action you tear down between matches, takes six thumbs. I hadn't deep cleaned it after the Quigley and ended up with the previously mentioned goo at Alliance. I continued using it in 2020 but blowing the action out with cleaner and compressed air. That helped but I was also experiencing stretched brass on every firing, to the point that I was starting to get some case separations. This was using bore pigs with two felt wads on the front and stabbing the chamber between shots. I was also getting rust in the action, it's a helluva cleaner, no lube though.
This spring at Lodi I went back to Napa soluble oil and water, the pigs soaking in cartridge boxes before chambering, sopping wet, dry patch following the pig and swabbing the chamber with wool bore mop. Excellent accuracy and NO brass stretching.
This was all with paper patch to bore only BTW.
That is my cautionary tale.
Todd
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

I tried M-Pro7 and while it gave me a nice clean bore and accuracy improved somewhat (groups but not scores), it caused significant brass stretching, even though I mopped the chamber after each wiping. Considering the expense and time to form my brass (35-40, 2.140), it was not worth it. I have since gone back to cutting oil and water.