Bore Pigs - How do you use them during a match?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

Bore Pigs - How do you use them during a match?

Post by Trigger1212 »

Gents,

Got the rifle, working on loads and looking at equipment list for matches this summer, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise! To that end I'm working with a couple of you come up with a bore-pig recipe for my 40-65, many thanks to those whom I'm PMing!

Wondering how many bore pigs a person needs for normal range session and more specifically matches? Looking at buying the felts and brushes and to get the best prices makes the most sense to purchase them in bulk lots. So how many of them to you all make? 10, 20, 40, 50?

I'm assuming most of you do not make one for every shot across the match. Assuming you have x number of them, say 15-20 to give you a fudge factor and clean and reuse between relays? Or?

What is your modis-operandi on match day? Or range work for that matter, maybe you only need 15-20 for matches and you use more when at the range working up loads?

Cheers!

Wade
ChrisF

Re: Bore Pigs - How do you use them during a match?

Post by ChrisF »

I use one after each shot then dry patch. Don’t forget practice shots
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Chris

That was not what I was asking. How many do you take to a match? just enough for a bank of critters and then clean between relays? Or?

W
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I clean them at home no time between relays
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

ok i will jump in.
most of my experience has been with the original texas bore pigs.
i like enough for a days shooting, as it is one less thing to think about.
i leave them soaking in 10:1 cutting oil solution for 2 reasons.
the cutting oil has rust preventative, and it has detergent.
i use them so wet that fluid can run down the action.
the detergent makes the water wetter to soften the fouling more readily.
i push one slowly through the barrel with a patch on a jag with the point removed.
when the pig falls out the muzzle, i withdraw the patch to the breech, then push it back through the muzzle out of the barrel.
another dry patch on the jag is used to dry the chamber, then pushed right through the barrel.
this seems to give a consistent barrel condition for least work.
unlike many, i feel the solution works better than straight water for reasons mentioned.
i did try a furniture soluble cleaner soap who"s name eludes me now and it was excellent but had no rust preventative.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

I see some people cleaning and getting them ready for another use between relays.

I do not do it that way. I have enough to get thru the day, and do the cleaning and prep after the match is over for the day.

In fact, I just ordered more, so that I can get thru 2 days of silhouette or target before having to deal with it.
Having that many adds up, but they work well for me and making life simpler while at a match is usually a plus!
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I've been using the Buffalo Arms ones for a few years now and have enough for one per shot, per day of shooting.
It don't take long to clean them of an afternoon for the next days shooting.
If my son Blair comes along and shoots, I have to either do a quick clean halfway through the day or replace the felts. ( a good job for a junior :lol: )
I have the grommets and felts for both .40 and .45 cal and 50 of the of brass jags. I have to halve the jags between us when we both shoot as he shoots my .40-70 Shiloh and I shoot my .45-90 CPA.
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

i have started playing with the baco felt ones as well.
they have a lot to offer, but seem a bit harder to push.
buying a big bag of replacement felts can be an advantage as you wait till yo have a lot of dirty ones, and then put them in the washing machine in those special bags used for washing small things.
i am going to try an absolutely soaked felt in front of a dry one, pushed by a patch on the jag.
the patch can again be withdrawn to the breech end and then expelled out the muzzle.
the pulling back of the patch is intended to get any softened fouling on the front edges of the rifling.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I just put a dry patch behind the wiper running two wet felts, ( I use cutting oil/water or Ballistol/water ) and push through. That's what Gullo told me to do. Seems to work well for me wether shooting long range or silhouette. The .40 cal ones are definitely tighter to push than the .45 cal ones in my experience.
Australia
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Gamerancher wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:47 pm I just put a dry patch behind the wiper running two wet felts, ( I use cutting oil/water or Ballistol/water ) and push through. That's what Gullo told me to do. Seems to work well for me wether shooting long range or silhouette. The .40 cal ones are definitely tighter to push than the .45 cal ones in my experience.
40 cal seems to work well running just one felt with a 2 inch dry patch on the rod tip.
45 caliber the 2 1/2 inch dry patch on the rod. Soaking wet felts, seems work best.
Using the cutting oil water mix, about all that needs done at the end of the day is run 2 swabs, then wipe the fouling that accumulates on the crown. You should be good to go the next morning, if you run one wiper down the tube just before firing the first round.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I'm using plain straight delrin rods Bruce so there 'aint no "pull back to swab the chamber". It's push through, reload, fire.

I've tried using just one felt Don, but here in the heat of summer, ( think 120F ) it don't work so good. :(
Australia
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

When it gets that hot sometimes it takes 2 full borewipers.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

i use a rod with ball bearing handle.
it is easy to pull back, and because it rotates is better for the barrel, as well as allowing a wipe on the front of the rifling as well.
the aim is not to swab the chamber, but to get the barrel as consistently clean every time as possible.
the second dry patch is worked in the chamber first to get it as dry as possible.
then down/back/down and out.
as the ranges increase, consistency of barrel condition becomes more important to avoid vertical.
the odg used up to 5 and even 7 rods for wiping in order to do this.
some oiled and then lightly oiled the barrel as well.
i must confess my wiping solutions have been getting stronger over the years in the hope of leaving a minute ammount of lubrication after the last patch.
as don says, hot weather takes on a whole new dimension to fouling control.
wet it more and get it really clean so there is no seed of fouling to germinate and grow.
shooting greasers and pp require slightly different wiping, as the grease combines with the alcoline fouling to make soap and glycerine in the presence of water.as don says also, a good wiping regime all but negates a serious clean at the end of the day.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

I have 60 BACO bore wipes and 800 felts that I use for a 5 day match. At the end of shooting I just zip the felts up in a laundry garment bag and wash them in the laundry.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

I am curious; what works better as a wiping fluid -- cutting oil and water versus M-Pro7?