38-55 wad diameter and powder compression

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Equanimous Phil

38-55 wad diameter and powder compression

Post by Equanimous Phil »

Hello all!

A couple weeks ago I saw a reasonably priced Shiloh Sharps which seemed to be a nice x-mas gift for me, so here we are! :D

It's a 28" barrel Sharps 74 made in the late 80s and chambered in 38-55. It will be used just a couple of times a year for mid-range fun plinking up to 450m (500 yds) on a quite wind protected range. Normally I do CAS, shooting .45 Colt cowboy guns loaded with smokeless on short target distance. I haven't reloaded any Black Powder yet, hence some questions below.

I have almost everything gathered that I need for building my cartrigdes
  • Mold is on its way: Ordered one from Accurate with two cavities, based on the 38-320ET and the 38-331B design
  • Alloy: Plan to go for about 1-30
  • Lube: Will pan lube with SPG
  • Brass: Starline 2.080 as the chamber seems to be cut for the short ones
  • Powder: Swiss No.3 (depending on results may switch to No.2 in the future)
  • Primers: Will use Large Pistol, probably CCI to safe my Federals for my wheel and lever guns with light springs
Now I wanted to order some Walters Vegetable Fiber Wads at Buffalo Arms. Do I need the "oversized" .386" or the .380" wads? The driving bands of my bullets should drop at .377". Which thickness do you recommend, 0.03" or 0.06"? I tend to the thinner because I want as much powder as possible in the small 38-55 case. Or does the thicker wad better protect the bullet base?

Do I need a powder compression plug? With how much compression should I start?

Happy Trails,
Equanimous
MikeT

Re: 38-55 wad diameter and powder compression

Post by MikeT »

Equanimous,

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Your 38-55 Shiloh may have a long leed after the chamber depending what was specified when it was originally purchased.
Something to check out when you start to build a cartridge.

For bullet alloy, I would not use anything softer than 1-20 [tin lead]. But your SPG lube is good.

0.380" diameter fiber wads will only work well if the groove diameter of the barrel is less than 0.380". Something else to check out.

Swiss powder generally needs minimal compression, but I would recommend a compression plug so you are not tempted to deform a bullet by using it to compress powder.

You didn't mention the barrel twist rate. My 38-55 has a 15 twist barrel and a 340 grain paper patched bullet [1.44" long] is not quit stable at 625 yards. Hopefully your bullets will match the twist in your rifle barrel.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Equanimous Phil

Thank you!

Then I will start with 1-20 tin to lead casting the bullets.

Lucinda gave me the rifle specs, the groove is supposed to be .375", the bore .365" and the barrel twist rate is 1 in 16". So, the twist is a tad slower than yours, but the lengths of my bullet types are just 1.17" and 1.22". Hope at least the shorter one will work... And 500 yards will be the maximum target distance anyway. I have some Cerrosafe at home, but haven't used it yet (didn't dare...) to check the chamber measures and verify the barrel diameters.

I will order the .380" fiber wads and a compression plug.

Seems to be a long journey until I can shoot the first BP bullet with my Sharps, but it will be worth it!!
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Personally,
I use only 0.060" LDPE wads.
They seal well and do not take up much space.
Did lucinda tell you whether chamber is cut for 2.080 or for 2.125" brass?
And, i suggest you learn to use the Cerrosafe on your chamber and leade/bore/groove
Regarding the limited case capacity, you may want to look at DDEPP bullets/molds at
Buffalo Arms. Examples : JIM# 371345E ( designed for 12 twist 38s,so too long for your 15 twist,
but for look at's to see the principal.
They are designed to seat very shallow in the case and so will maximize the powder capacity
beltfed/arnie
Equanimous Phil

Thanks Arnie!

Although I guess LDPE wads work better, I'd like to stay with the fiber wads as plastic seems somehow wrong to me. We're just a small Cowboy Action Shooting club (in Switzerland) who now and then grab our long range rifles to have some plinking fun with similar toys that were available 150 years ago, no competition at all. Up to now I used my .45 Colt lever gun with a 250gr bullet which worked for up to 270 yards.
So, I think I will order the 0.380" x 0.060" Walters wads then.

I haven't received an info about the ideal brass length from Lucinda, but I found in an older the thread that it must be cut for 2.080" shells. I also tried to measure the length myself with a calliper and came to the same result. But you are right, I have to learn to use that Cerrosafe stuff.

Before I buy some other molds I will experiment with the one I ordererd (it should arrive within days) and see how the cartridges will perform. I don't need knock down energy, just want to hit the target at those 500 yards. But if I am going for a new mold in the future I will definitely look at those from Buffalo Arms.

Equanimous Phil