40-50 Sharps BN die(s)

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Nuclearcricket

Re: 40-50 Sharps BN die(s)

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Mike you were right, I was wrong with the reamer diameter, I had to go and look, the reamer was a .438. Now please keep in mind that I am NOT working with a 40-50, merely using that case as a comparison case, because of the similar length and the parent case being a 45-70. The case I am working with is a 44-60. Same design just a bit bigger bullet is all.
Yes I also agree that reaming the neck opens the door for lots of bad things to happen and neck turning would be a much better way to go, just slower and a bit of a pain to do but your odds of messing something up is greatly reduced.
But also like I said I am just out on an information gathering mission. The action is a long way from being completed and is something I work on a little here and a little there. I think that once I get the block fitted into the action and the lower tang/trigger plate fitted up, most of the rest will go fairly easy, or at least I hope so. The fitting up of the lever is not a job I am looking forward to but in time it will be finished one way or another.
Sam
powderburner

Re: 40-50 Sharps BN die(s)

Post by powderburner »

I have a bunch of 44-60 cases. If you want a few i can send you some.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T