Swiss powder compression question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

martinibelgian

Re: Swiss powder compression question

Post by martinibelgian »

I couldn't care about compression, for me it's just a result of the amount of powder in the case, not a goal. A set charge will require set compression, and it is just about impossible to vary only compression without changing other variables. Kinda like Opencountry, he's not only changing compression, he's also changing the was stack.
So I just load by weight, and let compression be whatever it is...
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

good point gert.
that is what we really do.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

opencountry wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:03 pm And, if I need to try less compression I’ll do this too until I find a good load for target work.
R
robert,
when you are done, it would be interesting to hear your results.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

My opinion. Try everything. Start with 0 and work your way up. It may be good that we can give you an IDEA but I think it’s a good thing to try everything. Leave no stone unturned. Case in point Woody already said. Same lot of powder but him and I have come up with different formulas. Both are right for the particular individual.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

ian,
you nailed it.
the only thing you could add is try everything with an open mind, and do it systematically.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

After reading all the new replies I realized I was doing everything opposite to how I’ve done this before; it must be because I’m about to turn seventy-one years old this May. :-) But...I’m going to test these varying (speaking of different compression values here) 105-grain loads I’ve made. And, if I find something very promising I’ll tweak the load a bit by adding or reducing the powder weight, and NOT the compression anymore.
Ultimately, the reason I’m doing this is I believe I can achieve better overall performance using Swiss powder over Goex powder. I’ve dedicated myself to pp shooting over gg just because I enjoy it more; it’s the challenge I guess. Thanks, guys. I’ll post the results soon enough, weather permitting. Looking for a calm, warm day to test.
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I personally have had better scores with Swiss. I tried OE at the beginning of the season last year and it was a disaster for me. I would like to revisit it sometime but for now I will keep shooting what I have especially since I still have 35 pounds of what I call the Woody and Brent lot.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

ian, put that lot of powder up and save it, buy you a newer lot to use. Woody will get a great load worked up with that lot and then run out and can't find any more of it. Then you can sell him what you have and double your money. :lol: :lol:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Now that is a hellovan idea!!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Always looking after my best interest I see. Thanks Smoke.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Coltsmoke wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:35 am ian, put that lot of powder up and save it, buy you a newer lot to use. Woody will get a great load worked up with that lot and then run out and can't find any more of it. Then you can sell him what you have and double your money. :lol: :lol:
Better yet, shoot all that powder up, keep the cans and fill them back up with some Goex cartridge powder I'll sell you cheap, THEN sell the repackaged powder to Woody as the real deal in a few years for a premium.

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Woody

Post by Woody »

Now I'm smelling a conspiracy in the making.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

I do fairly well in this little corner of the world, but at times scratch my head when something out of the ordinary happens. While shooting the Postal match this winter, I was able to tweak different things to try and come up with a reason for strange things to happen. By the time I got done every load was "good", But one turned out to be "real" good. A load I struggled with last fall. What made every load better, was a change in how I controlled the fouling in my barrel. Whether it works at 1000 yds and in the heat, time will tell. If u can't contol the fouling all else is for naught, even though u may have a very good load, u will never know.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Good point, Charlie, and I'm in full agreement with you; a bore has GOT to be kept consistently clean. Like the old benchrest shooters slogan - 'The name of the game is the same.'
Some say to push two damp patches though the bore between shots. Some say three. I cut my own flannel patches. I personally push two damp TIGHT-fitting patches through the bore, followed by one tight-fitting dry patch, followed by a wool chamber 'mop' to dry the chamber between shots. The way I see it, I'd rather 'over-clean' the bore than under-clean it. An under-cleaned bore will eventually catch up with you. I live in SE WA State where the summers get up to as high as 105-106 degrees, and very low humidity.

Off topic, but there it is...

To get back with others here who asked me to post an update(s). I went out today to test my pp Swiss loads. Remembering every previous load was with 105 grains of Swiss 1Fg, and having different compression values, I did find two sweet spots that produced nice groups. Tomorrow, time permitting, I'm going to set my compression die in one spot resting on the .030" over-powder wad, and work my powder charges from around 95 grains to as high as 110-111 grains, looking for that promising and consistent target load. I'm thinking on starting with zero compression, and up my powder charge until I find something to work with, whatever that might be. Swiss powder DOES look promising. Just having a good time shooting again after a long winter!
It's all good,
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

charlie and robert,
both of you are far from off topic.
if you are trying to do an honest test, why set yourself up guaranteed to fail?
the only way to guarantee consistency is a thoroughly clean bore each shot.
once you establish a load there, you can then try pushing the boundaries in a meaningful way.
the odg used up to 5 rods for wiping, and if lubing the bore afterward, 7 rods.
generally speaking in competition, the question is how to wipe thoroughly clean an consistently dry/part dry for each shot in the shortest time possible.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus