PP gas cutting

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: PP gas cutting

Post by semtav »

TGC wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:01 am Kenny's bullet may be a little long for a 18" twist rate. Tim.
Really going to be interesting to see what that 1.490 bullet does if Kenny wrings it out in a 1-18 twist barrel.
Ive got a 1.450 elliptical and a 1.460 Money bullet.
The 1.460 shot good in my 1-18 twist barrel, but the 1.450 is shooting exceptionally well in a 1-16 twist barrel.
Apples to oranges probably.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

My .446 545 gr. Money shoots well in my 45-110 18 twist Shiloh, set a 8/10 record at 1 mile. Took 3rd in a regional in 2016, set a National record that Dennis Willing had promised to get it. 95-4x on the new 500 yard target.

Probably due to the 45-110 extra umph.

I am betting this will do well in my 18 twist Hell Bitch. I know it will in Dora’s 16 twist.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

of latter times, jim has written a lot of good posts about bullet fit.
he has described in great detail, and with good simplicity haw to think on this subject.
if there were some way to collect all these posts in a group, it would be worth saving them somehow.
he goes past the old method of "try this and try that" in a random way, distilling it into what the basics are.
once you come to grips with that it is simple.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

bpcr
Thank you for the offer of trying a few. PM set to you
kw
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I forgot to mention the ,446 545 gr bullet is 1.510 long.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

kenny,
you certainly got good results shooting bore dia pp bullets in a groove dia chamber.
as you say, you were putting a good sized whallop behind the bullet.
your bullet is a fair way in the case, and then you have a big wadstack between powder and bullet.
this wadstack is probably the key, as it would go a long way to getting a quick gas seal prior to the bullet base bumping up to chamber dimension.
your bullet would in fact become a dual diameter prior to beginning forward movement.
another thing that works as discovered by experiment.
your loads have that luxury due to the big long case.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Per Bruce M: "your bullet would in fact become a dual diameter prior to beginning forward movement.
another thing that works as discovered by experiment."

Now that is an interesting concept and very well my be true. I did do a felt stack like Kenny's and saw some promise, so maybe I need to revisit that as I have adjusted case length to I think "optimum"

Sure enjoy the knowledge that can be mined from this site!
kw
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

kw,
kenny's case is 2 7/8" long, while yours is 2 4/10" long.
he can fit all sorts of things in there, and still hold more powder than you can with no wad at all.
if you do not want to go the mile with pp, you might be better just shooting greasers in groove diameter mode as you chamber is intended.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Yes true, the 2 7/8" 110 case has more room, but the 2.4 has room for a .03 veg. and .125 felt with out too much sacrifice. I need accuracy fist and distance second, perhaps the benefits of the DD bullet will work with a wad stack that is not to intrusive to case capacity, 85-88 gr. plus would be nice. Yes, worse case is simply go back to my GG load which delivered nicely, but this is a challenge I want to explore. Plus I have 3 rifles cut with this reamer, so there is a benefit to reap.
Depending on how this goes I could just set this 34" barrel back 1-2 threads and re-chamber, done it before on others....not quite ready to do that just yet.
kw
TGC

Post by TGC »

Kw , I agree with you. You have three rifles with the same chamber. Carefully measure your chamber cast and order a DDPP. I ordered one of Arnie's designs from. Buffalo arms, it fits fine in my three 45 cal.rifles. Three different chambers. Two 45 2.4" and one 45 70. Tim.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

TGC
Roger that! A DD mold will be on the way shortly. I have exhausted the wad stack choices, case lengths etc. with very little success for the effort.
Arnie's design is the choice here, got my chamber cast dim's. Got to get this thing up and running fast.
kw
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Just be SURE you have the correct diameters for your order to fit your FF case I.D. and the bore/lands with the desired Paper you want to use.
though,fortunately there are several papers out there for you to fine -tune with
Arnie
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

ff cas id and freebore id are both major considerations.
probably freebore is most important.
you can adjust neck thickness of norma 3.25" brass shortened in extreme cases.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Getting some success now by having gone to the DD bullets. Matt aka "bpcr shooter" sent me some bullets cast from Baco jim453545E to try while Brooks is making up my mold. Recovered bullets have a perfect base, and are engraved nicely, 200 yd groups are very good. Arriving at the optimum case length was harder than I anticipated, even starting with a chamber cast. .005" either way from ideal either rolls case mouth into the throat or being short causes micro paper slivers around case mouth perimeter. This bullet seated over a .060 ldpe allows 92 gr. of 1 1/2 easily. Will tweak all this when my mold arrives.
Thanks all for the help.
kw
semtav

Post by semtav »

Good deal Kim. Now you just as well get a DD headed your way for the 40-82. Mine arrived Friday!!