Alloy

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Re: Alloy

Post by desert deuce »

Dan O, his crocheting could use some improvement but his needle point is really good. :D
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Well bullet is 45-70. The Lyman mold I have is 500 grain. I’m just getting into this so still looking for stuff. I found a 10 pound lee furnace. Everything is like looking for a needle in hay stack. I bought the mold but no handles lol. Still looking got some on back order you know how that goes. My brother gave me 200 primers to get me started. Crazy times. Talked to local gun shop yesterday he said he’s rep for ammo and powders says 2 to 4 years before things get back to we’re they were if nothing happens. Lol.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

desert deuce wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:09 pm Dan O, his crocheting could use some improvement but his needle point is really good. :D
Jeez you said you like that afgan
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

500 grain Lyman Mould, guessing #457125 ? Government Bullet? Finding handles should not be a problem.
Finding brass and powder should not be a problem. Finding wads should not be a problem.
I use the RCBS dipper and you have primers all you need then is lube and a pan to lube the bullets in.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

I found a pan lube kit it’s a 500 grain .457 postell. I was lucky and found brass I have 5 pounds Swiss ff powder. Shiloh rifle said do not go over .458 in there guns. Of course I will not get mine till next year. Just primers and little things I need to find like handles. Should I get a sizer?? Some say it can mess up the bullet. Thanks
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I make my own lube and size as a means of lubing the bullet. Just get a sizing die the same diameter as your barrel groove and if you don't squeeze the bullet down more than .001- .002 max to get to groove diameter, all will be well.
You will note often times all the sizing die does is round out the bullet as most( make that ALL) molds do not drop a perfectly round bullet. Jones and Brooks molds ( I have both) will often keep them with in .0005 of being round and they don't come any better than those.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

I was looking at the brooks web site. And Buffalo Arms. I called and talked to a guy at Buffalo Arms he said there molds are some of the best out there. I was also looking for sizers for 45-70. Bullets everything back order. Lol.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Greybeard you can get by just fine pan lubing that lyman postel. Mould handles shouldn't be a problem
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

OK you have the 457132 Lyman Mould and it will probably weigh closer to 525 grains than 500 as cast. Great choice.
Sometimes you can order handles, nose punches and such direct from Lyman.
You have plenty of time if you just placed your order for the rifle. So spend wisely and buy quality, buy what you need not what you can get.
Just because a sizing die is marked .458 does not mean it sizes the bullet .458, doesn't matter whether Saeco or Lyman they can be off .002"
The new Lyman sizing dies are virtually useless for long rifle bullets as they no longer put 4 vertical holes on the sides, only two. Do hand gun bullets fine, not rifle.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Yep that’s we’re I have the handles back order from is Lyman Buffalo Arms said 1:20. Or 20:1 alloy. Thanks
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

the original govt bullet used 16:1.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Graybeard wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:32 am Yep that’s we’re I have the handles back order from is Lyman Buffalo Arms said 1:20. Or 20:1 alloy. Thanks
The nice part about mould handles, Lyman, RCBS, Accurate KAL,and Old West single and double cavity all use the same handles. So that allows use of either Lyman,RCBS, KAL and Lee 6 cavity mould handles to work, along with a couple of the available locking mould handles.
When you use Saeco, BACO, or Brooks moulds then you're limited to Saeco, and KAL handles, and possibly the locking mould handles that are still available.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

no problem about the pure lead Glen. I put wheel weights through my guns for years without problems.
I melted plumbers lead given to me for a while, and found that the smog it created was just too much for me.
while I got pretty good bullets, I was trying to kill myself in the process.

it it works..go for it.
I buy the 16 to 1 because I know it's a true mix and I can duplicate it. but I know it's not necessary to go out and have fun..

Ken
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Don McDowell wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:00 am
Graybeard wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:32 am Yep that’s we’re I have the handles back order from is Lyman Buffalo Arms said 1:20. Or 20:1 alloy. Thanks
The nice part about mould handles, Lyman, RCBS, Accurate KAL,and Old West single and double cavity all use the same handles. So that allows use of either Lyman,RCBS, KAL and Lee 6 cavity mould handles to work, along with a couple of the available locking mould handles.
When you use Saeco, BACO, or Brooks moulds then you're limited to Saeco, and KAL handles, and possibly the locking mould handles that are still available.

I may have gotten a weird set of handles but, my Lyman handles fit Redding, lee, RCBS, BACO and Brooks molds.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Must of done, because the screw holes in the Lyman handles I have are to small for the Saeco style blocks I have.