Alloy

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Graybeard

Re: Alloy

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks for all the info. If I can remember this weekend I’ll put a list of everything I have so far. You guys can tell me what I’m missing. Thanks
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I just spot and redrill the holes in handles that won't line up the mold holes I'm using with my RCBS handles. Never did like the locking handles after trying a set my friend had as they are heavy and are a solution in search of a problem in my opinion.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Hate to keep asking questions. The last time I shot black powder I cleaned my brass with windex with ammonia. I was looking at tumblers do the one with the liquid cleaning solution clean black powder or are you better off doing the ammonia wash then regular tumbling. Thanks
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I like the tumblers with ceramic media. About a cup of media, put the brass in, a drop of dish soap , and about a tablespoon of lemishine. Fill the drum to about an inch over the deprived cases. 2 hours will yield some very nice shiny clean brass.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

I’ve seen the ones with the stainless steel little rods.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Graybeard wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:38 pm I’ve seen the ones with the stainless steel little rods.
I have the Frankford one...works just fine with the pins.... just gotta watch out, every now and then one is stuck in the primer pocket
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

So do you still have to pre treat with ammonia or does the solution clean the black powder. Thanks
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Doesn't hurt to rinse them in a coffee can of water with a little oxyclean in it before going into the tumbler.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Lortone QT-12 Tumbler. Had my first one 33 years before replacing it with the same model
Cover the deprimed brass with water, two glugs of vinegar, shake, don't let sit more than about 20 minutes
Rinse again and put in tumbler
I use ceramic media and Dave Mauer solution

Have had two different vibratory tumblers, gave both away.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

We use simple green and water to rinse the cases in. Judging From the amount of crud we rinse out later , I guess it's working pretty good.

We dry the cases in the sun room if possible, and then use a vibratory tumbler with the large number of cases.

We had bought a small capacity sonic cleaner and was going to buy a large wet tumbler, but a friend passed away and willed us another couple of case cleaners and a bunch of media.

With that media, we still brush out the case and primer pockets.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Nothing while at the range. When home, (sometimes days later), I rinse in warm water. Nothing else. Then tumble with ceramic and Mauer's soap for one to two hours. Rinse again in water and stand up to dry. I sometimes, especially this time of year, I stand on a cookie sheet and place on my wood stove. Gentle heat and in 30 minutes they are ready to reload. I use a 30 year old Thumbler's and a old RCBS.

There is nothing wrong with scrap lead. I've been shooting lead from the scrap yard for most of my casting years. Bullet design and the target will dictate your choice, but I've been shooting 25-1 for years, only because it is easy to mix.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

fired cases go into a water container with a little dove at the range.
at home.
wash, deprime, put in ceramic tumbler (not steel pins, they dent the case mouth)
a little dove in the water, and vinegar. dove alone works just fine.
'
tumble two hours. wash, check cases for any ceramic left in...always one, and a small drill bit tapped pops them out.

dry in a 1 foot wood base, with large finishing nails sticking up. put in upside down and stay until ready to load next day .

Ken