Trouble Shooting

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Trouble Shooting

Post by Glen Ring »

Months ago I bought a Lyman bullet mold..457125. I cast bullets from different alloys and every bullet's nose was way to big to even fit in the bore. I thought I had done something wrong ,being relatively new to all this black powder stuff.

I had bought the book Black Powder cartridge reloading primer By Venturino and Garbe and remembered something about that mold number. I opened the book up and there it was..something to the effect that Lyman Sometimes gets the dimensions a little off.

I contacted Lyman, they agreed to send me another mold and it finally came in a few days ago. I molded some bullets out of 20 to 1 and they were PERFECT! The bore riding nose fits with NO wobble.

Every time I get stuck on something reference black powder shooting I find articles written by Mike Venturino. No BS, NO ego, his information is something I can always trust and count on.

Ly man sent an apology e-mail, a new mold and told me I could keep the old one. GREAT service during all this pandemic stuff.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
bruce m

Re: Trouble Shooting

Post by bruce m »

glen,
i'll bet that the nose that appears to ride the bore before you shoot it will have rifling marks in it if you recover a fired version of it.
a ticking time bomb waiting to give you leading.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Glen Ring

Re: Trouble Shooting

Post by Glen Ring »

That's logical Bruce. I'll shoot a few next week and keep an eye on it.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.