What is the best way to "unload" cartridges?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

GrumpyBear

Re: What is the best way to "unload" cartridges?

Post by GrumpyBear »

Just my opinion. but Randy Wrights ,book is a much better source of information.

https://shilohrifle.com/accessories/boo ... ers-guide/

I know it says P.P. but there is a lot of good information on loading in there.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

When loading your cartridges, as long as the mount of the case is 0.480 to 0.481 they should chamber. Mare really sure that there are no burrs on the inside or outside of the case mouth. These can come from trimming, or even from firing brass that is slightly too long. A tiny burr or ridge can easily add a couple of thousandths to the mouth diameter. After a while you'll figure out how to carefully and consistently expand the case mouths suchthat you never need to use anything after the bullet is seated. You shouldn't even need a taper crimp.

To determine cartridge length I make up a dummy round with only a slight bit of neck tension. Slight enough that you can push the bullet deeper with your fingers, although not so loose that it'll fall into the case. Make it so there are one or two lube grooves exposed. Seat the round by hand so that the bullet contacts the rifling and is forced back into the case. Extract the round and measure the length (hopefully the bullet isn't stuck into the rifling :-) ). This length is likely very close to where you want to start. Maybe back off 0.005" to ensure easy seating.

Chris.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Maybe the best set of articles I've seen for loading bpcr were written by Bob Glodt for the Black Powder Cartridge News in a series spread over a year or so.

Chris.
Bohonkie

Post by Bohonkie »

Update: I know you're all waiting with baited breath (never could figure out what that actually means) regarding my range session today. All went well. If I had to I could load 3 cartridges without swabbing. In the first two groups I cleaned after every other shot. In the next two groups I cleaned after every shot. Five shot groups at 100 yards, all shots measured center-to-center. The sole difference in these groups is I used FL sizing on some and neck sizing on others:

Group 1: 2.232" FL sizing. Cleaned every other shot. Four of the five shots went into 0.450" with one flier. Oops.
Group 2: 6.033" Neck sizing. Cleaned every other shot.
Group 3: 5.538" FL sizing. Cleaned each shot.
Group 4: 1.846" Neck sizing. Cleaned each shot.

When I say cleaned, I mean one patch soaked in 50/50 water/Windex followed by one clean patch. I don't have a blow tube; I'll have to make one. I don't know what these groups would have looked like had I not tortured my cartridges with all the sizing, etc. Works out well, though, cuz now I get to load soe more and spend more time at the range!

77Sharps: I forgot to mention I have Norma brass that measure (new) 2.884" I have about 100 of these.

Gunlaker: That's pretty much how I decide where to seat my bulets. I use a case that I carve two opposing, every thin, slits into with my Dremel and this gives me the correct grip. I always debur my brass - inside the case mouth whether or not I trim.

I'll look up Mr Wright and Mr Glodt writings. Thanks again everyone!
The Ultimate Predator
Bohonkie
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

Bohonkie
You are wanting to shoot with out cleaning between shots. I will give you my gg hunting load. You should be able to fire at least 5 shots 2 1/2 moa with out problems. First, your bullets nose ahead of the first drive band needs to be.004” below bore diameter to clear the fouling. I used 95 grains of powder with a.018” milk carton wad, a1/8” lube wad, another carton wad, and seating the bullet with all the lube grooves covered. I can fire at least 5 shots with out blow tubing into 9” at 350 yards. With KIK powder, 10 plus. Often I use 2fg powder because it seems to foul less. Most people say not to use a lube wad, but it helps a lot. DGL seems to work the best other than 2 parts vegetable oil, 1 part bees wax. PP Bullets work better for shooting dirty and they are easier than you think. That 9” is not off the bench and is with a blade front sight, field positions.
Bohonkie

Post by Bohonkie »

Thanks. Good stuff. I'll certainly experiment with this - new to me. That one group I fired (0.450" four shots with the flier) I called when I accidentally touched the trigger on one shot before I was "settled down." I'm probably not going to re-purchase the bullets I was using. When I place a .45 Hornady ogive collett to measure, some of the bullets result in the collett going all the way down to the front driving band while others the collett will stop at various places on the bullet ahead of the bands. Also, some of the bullets are wrinkled (too cool casting, I suspect). I bought these from Cabela's years ago and I'm sure they no longer carry them since they were just about destroyed by the Bass Pro Shop purchasing them. I can say that because I work part time at Sportsman's Warehouse (for the past 22 years), so you probably understand my concern.

I have a few moulds I bought all those years ago and some 20:1 metal so I will cast my own for experimentation.

Thanks again -
The Ultimate Predator
Bohonkie