Dual diameter 40-82 revisited

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Steve Ueckert

Re: Dual diameter 40-82 revisited

Post by Steve Ueckert »

Forgot to mention, these are GG bullets, albeit Micro-Mini Groovers intended for Dan's WL.
"...we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor."
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Glad too see you back at it Steve.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Steve Ueckert

Post by Steve Ueckert »

THNX Kenny--

It is nice to be back. Lot's of things to ponder, not the least of which is which Rifle / Chamber / Bullet / Case will be my restart point. I have extensive notes for the .40-60 Maynard Shiloh #1 Sporter, as also for the Browning BPCR's in .38-50 Remington-Hepburn & the the in .32-40 Winchester.

My Heart is with the Shiloh, my best silly-wet scores were with the .38-50.

Methinks I'll be burning some old (vintage 2007) Swiss 1.5 in the Shiloh pretty soon, I just need to get to the range on a quiet day by myself so I can concentrate on issues like my hold, fouling management, all those little things that fill a necessities bag (so to speak).

Warm Regards,

--Steve
"...we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor."
semtav

Post by semtav »

Looks Like Kim Williams is going to have to chime in here and tell us the load he used while getting top Sr and 2nd overall at the Big Hill shoot with his 40-82 !!!! 8)
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Brian, nothing special about my 32" Ballard .40-82 loads. 70 gr. Swiss 1 1/2, pistol match primers, Baco 450 gr GG money bullet, 16-1 alloy and .030 poly. Barrel twist is 1-14 1/2 Grn. Mtn. The chamber has always given me fits with hard extraction and separated cases. Did set barrel back 1/8" and re chambered with the New Manson Crosso shil. reamer to "clean up" previous chamber.....better but still not perfect. It wants and does shoot well. Going to re barrel soon using same twist, and re visit the DD PP bullets also. Its just hard not to hold and shoot a Ballard well, It does lead the bore if you don't swab between every shot....blow tubing is out.
kw
semtav

Post by semtav »

Finally had a chance to try to sight in my Borchardt 40-82 at 650 yds yesterday evening.
With a neophyte spotter and a less than intelligent shooter it was a lesson in humility.
After the "good elevation just off to the right" "didn't see that one" "good elevation just off to the left" , "didn't see that" , "one good elevation just off to the right" until we finally run out of shells, we finally went up and figured out what we were doing wrong.
With no backstop and a very gentle upslope behind the target , what looked like a good elevation was actually hitting way past the target!! :oops:
Maybe we'll get another shower and a cool evening to try it again someday
semtav

Post by semtav »

Since I couldn't find the 650 yd target with the 40-82 Borchardt a couple months ago, thought I'd start over with my 300 yd landfill target.
Pretty gusty wind from the left, so figured on a little more Horizontal.
Vertical 3 3/8 , Horizontal 5 1/2
So I'm happy with just over a minute vertical for now.
Shooting almost identical DDPP load as I was in the Browning.

9-21-21 300 YD BORCHARDT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
semtav

Post by semtav »

40-82 Borchardt 9-22-21.jpg

Super imposed my target today.
different wind and primer. same sight setting. lot more quartering tailwind almost took me off the target.

Moved over a couple minutes and shot the next two in the same hole.
thought about stopping there to show DD how easy it is to do that 0 min vertical two in the same hole thing when you are using a refrigerator door.
but just had to screw it up.
Next two went low and the last went high. not sure how much of that was me and how much was the quartering tailwind.
Now if I can get so I can call those I might be getting somewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Found some lead in the barrel so might have to revise my loading or wiping a bit.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

did you have the mold maker mark the ogive? In dads 40-82 we now use 87gr of 1.5f swiss and found that Kurts alloy of 17+1 of 95/5 you get next to zero setback and no slump. Even in my 45-100, the rifling marks stop at the patch line. If your alloy is good I would say your spot on with the wiping thought....
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
semtav

Post by semtav »

The ogive is marked. I might try just a touch over it.
Using 12.5-1 and 83 gr Swiss 1.5.
Could even be from before I got it. Never drove a real tight patch thru it before I don't think.
But it was the hottest day ive shot it so far.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Brian I have the same DDEP bullet with the 0.453 base. I have been wrapping them with Seth Cole 55W 8 pound paper, mainly fire forming.They are tight in the expanded case (even a little tight in the fire formed case). I am shooting them in a 40-90BN with a 1/14 twist loaded with 100 grains of 1Fg Swiss.The loads are compressed with a 0.060 wad so that the bullet is 0.0125 in the case. My groups are 3-3.25 inches in diameter (round) at 200 yards. I am wiping with BACO bore wipers using MPro7. No leading with 1/16 tin/lead alloy.I just got some 7 pound 55Y Seth Cole paper to try. My brass is Starline reformed 45-2.6 as well as RMC 40-90BN. The recoil is not bad with a 13 pound Shiloh LRE with a 32 inch heavy round barrel. I need to try this load in a Silhouette match. I have a 1/14 twist barrel on the gun per Shiloh.The barrel cleans super easy.This is my first real journey into paper patch. I made my own template for patches that I cut on a paper cutter. I wet wrap the patches.That makes it easier for me to wrap them tightly.
semtav

Post by semtav »

100 grains of powder behind a 40 Cal bullet must make that thing sizzle.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

It kicks less than a 100FG charge behind a 540 grain PP bullet in my 45-2.6 Lighter projectile makes all the difference.I just need to go somewhere where I can shoot it out to 600 and beyond. 200 don't mean squat.I need to first shoot it in a Silhouette match.