Is It Time To Revisit Olde Eynesford Results & Practices?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Is It Time To Revisit Olde Eynesford Results & Practices?

Post by desert deuce »

Been rather quiet concerning actual field results in the use of OE Powder. Writing to determine if there is enough empirical information available to share among contributors to this forum?

Definition of empirical: depending upon observation or experience alone, without theory.

By field results that specifies match shooting, either target or silhouette, by the rifleman doing the loading and shooting.

Saying you used 71 grains in a 45-70 and hit the backstop is not what I am referring to.

IE: 18 twist badger, 45-70, 69 grains OE 1.5, Winchester Large Rifle Primer, .060 Walters Veg Wad, 459542M3 Baco bullet 1-20 alloy, COAL 3.04"
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Re: Is It Time To Revisit Olde Eynesford Results & Practices?

Post by Don McDowell »

#1 Shiloh 45-70 18 twist standard weight barrel, standard chamber. Hornady cases, rp 9 1/2 primer, 75 gr OE 2f , thin napa rubber cork wad Muzzle loader original dry lubed felt wad, BACO .446525M cast 16-1, wrapped in seth cole 55y patch.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
semtav

Post by semtav »

Don't make me drag out another refridgerator door and my daughters 40-65.
It was shooting OE real well !!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I find it quite curious that you consider vandalizing discarded appliances as match shooting. :shock:
semtav

Post by semtav »

Evidently I'm the only one. they wouldn't let me come to Forsyth Saturday and shoot cuz I wanted to bring my refrigerator doors with me
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Great News! :mrgreen: Looks like I will have to put Forsyth on my bucket list then. :D
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Brian you'll find that those fridges will keep the beer way colder if you stop shooting holes in the doors :-).

Chris.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

That must mean that Brian is a cool shooter.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Not bad for this forum actually, one out of seven can follow the thread. Above average? :roll:
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

You Guys plan to take this act on the road?

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

If Matthew Quigley could demonstrates his marksmanship to the satisfaction of Mr. Marston by shooting holes in a wooden bucket I wouldn't think that anyone should have a problem with Brian using a refrigerator to demonstrate his shooting skills!

Just saying!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
craneman

Post by craneman »

I have been using OldE since it was introduced. Like many of us am a born tinkerer, so had to give it a try and have been using since. The load I settled on a long time ago is 82gr 2f, 1 .060 veggie and 1 .060 poly compressed to seat a BACO 521gr money bullet cast 16-1 wrapped with Alvin 55w .125 in the case. Rifle is Browning BPCR 45-70 18 twist badger barrel.
Works well enough to get 2nd place in the men's division and 8th overall at the Q in 2017. It netted me 5th place at Lodi last month and my buddy Don 7th using identical rifle and load. At that match our neophyte wind reading skills made it a challenge. I did take high aggregate at 1000 for the weekend. Since I quit wiping with Mpro 7 things have improved, it just took shooting Lodi last fall to figure out the best wiping routine for me and my load.
I will say the money bullet shoots very well but am suspicious that the 1.46 length and slender nose profile is less reliable in a headwind. At 1000 on one relay I was holding the 10 and 9 rings reliably and one shot broke as the wind hit my face, rather forcibly, and was miss low just below the target frame. The next shot in the similar condition as earlier shots was back into the 10 ring. I have noticed it shoots well in a crosswind but not so much when I have a twitchy headwind.
Todd
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

So what is your wiping solution, instead of MPro7 ?
craneman

Post by craneman »

I found the M-Pro 7 to give an accuracy edge but had brass stretching issues and it would build up a terribly gummy residue in the action. It is also a great cleaner so would flush the oil out of the action and would promote rust. The Browning rifles are not an action you tear down easily between matches so not a good situation. You can flush with brake cleaner and blow out with compressed air but it's hard to re-lube properly.
I went back to Napa water soluble oil 7 to 1 mixture with distilled water. I use a bore critter made from Brownells nylon brushes, they sell by the dozen. I trill bristles off the end so I can stab two VFG felt wads. These are stored in 50 round plastic containers. I push through the bore sopping wet with a 2 1/2" dry patch on the rear with a delrin rod. Push slowly and look at the patches as they come out and feel for fouling build up near the muzzle. I will sometimes feel some drag as I get near the muzzle so will push another through. I also figured out on my last relay at Lodi last fall if I get a low shot out of the group that was unexplained I would wipe twice before the next shot and it would be back into the group.
These are my personal observations.
Todd
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Thanks, always good to hear what's working well for others.

And I agree, about the Browning action not being a quick teardown, between relays.