Pistol Primers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

Re: Pistol Primers

Post by opencountry »

Wood paper is harder than cotton. I have found cotton paper compresses a little easier than wood paper. 20# wood is typical copy paper, 22# is slightly thicker. 24# is even thicker, and so on, as you know. From there up it’s experimental until you find what works for you, what gives you the depth you want. I like wood. Every brand of brass, every primer is slightly different.
I’ve read here on the forum that paper between the primer and powder is advantageous, giving less deviation, less spread on your chrono.
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
bobw

Post by bobw »

I keep things as simple as I can primer wise. I use large rifle primers in rifle cases that require them and large pistol primers in pistol cases that use them. It's called the kiss principle. bobw
bobw
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I can relate to Keeping it simple Bob. I still use a flip phone.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Keeping it simple is always the best way with just about everything. I don't have any kind of electronic leash: flip phone or worse. Why be pluged in all the time. Damn computer is bad enough.

George
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Keeping it simple. An analogy.

Toast......simple toast is eaten without butter or jam.

Most take their toast with butter and/or jam. Some even like buttered toast with bacon folded in.

Primers? I use the ones that give the best performance in any given load because results can and do make a difference in a match. 8)
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Be quite double D, let them keep it simple. :wink: We may be shooting with them in a match someday.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

I don't shoot match's. I got my loads from folks that do an they normally do quite well. NO pistol primers in my rifle cases.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I hear you Smoke...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tell me, now, do you see any of them at a match? :?:

Which of course is not the point. The point is informing others that read what they post as to other important considerations. :idea:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

by MSalyards » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:52 am

I don't shoot match's. I got my loads from folks that do an they normally do quite well. NO pistol primers in my rifle cases.
Come on, MSalyards, jump in and join in the matches, water is just fine. Will make room for you on the firing line.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I have tried remington LR, LRMag, CCi LR,LR Mag, CCIBR2, Sellor and Bellot Lr, Fed Lr, LRMag, Rem LP, LPMag, CCI LP, LPMag, Fed LP, LPMag, and I give them all their fair chance at making a good load, but I always seem to end up at Fed LR (210m). I did find a load with the CCI BR2's ,under primer wad (I used regular note pad paper) with a and a straight sided PP bullet but, it only took 3 different loads and found a better/more consistent load with the Fed 210's, and no wad. My thought would be try the 210's compress 1.5F swiss .060-.080 with a .060 wad and see what happens. Just no reason to make it harder than it has to be...

FWIW, I load the 210's in 32-40, 38-55, 40-70, 40-82, 44-100 45-70, 45-100 and soon a 45-90. I also use them in 3 308's, 270, 30-06 and a 30-30. All shoot sub MOA.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Opencountry, I place a 'wad' of white coffee filter paper over the primer before adding powder.
The targets and crono say to do this. :wink:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I'm not telling anyone to not use a rifle primer, use what works for you. I talked my shooting partner into trying the under primer wad in his load about 6 weeks ago, he was using the 150M also. It reduced his group at 200 yds. considerably, it was the best group he had ever shot. He had the same load without the wads and shot them at the same time, Stevie Wonder could see the difference in that test. I have some M210's that I plan on trying, someday. I think you could probably work up a decent load with just about any primer, I said I think you can, I didn't say I know you can. Has anyone here used a primer that just would not work with their rifle and bullet? I tried around 7 different primers one day with my load and only found one other primer that would work with that powder charge. The BR-II in that load shot a 5" group with that load at 200yds. I know the BR-II is a good primer, I've had some good loads using it before. It was just the wrong powder charge for that primer. It is not a fair test to take one powder charge and test different primers, the primer you are testing may want a grain more or a grain less to shoot the best that it can in your rifle.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I agree with all that you said, Smoke. It’s sometimes amazing what changing just one component will do, or won’t do. :-)

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.