Old Eynsford Compression

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

High Desert Hunter

Old Eynsford Compression

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Will Old E take compression the same as GOEX? Or will I need to drop my powder charge so I am not having to compress as much? I am shooting a 535gr GG bullet seated with all grooves covered.
Lumpy Grits

Re: Old Eynsford Compression

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Squeeze it like std Goex :wink:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

They can all be compressed. You did not say how much you are compressing Goex. Swiss and Old E give off more energy per grain than Goex so usually less is required. I find that somewhere between 0.060 and 0.100" works for me with Old E or Swiss and my muzzle velocity is higher. YMMV as you did not tell us what cartridge you are loading. Neither did you say what granulation you are referring to, I use 1.5. More information helps with the accuracy of the answers.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Sort of hard to say. Depending on the rifle, primer , case brand etc. It might take anywhere from not much to mashing the crap out of it.
Not enough compression will likely show you heavy fouling and vertical stringing on the target.
What my rifles have shown is the same charge by weight of OE 1 1/2 as the charge weight of Cartridge will give you better accuracy, and way less fouling than what Cartridge delivered.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
High Desert Hunter

Sorry for the lack of information. I have been shooting GOEX, 3F. After my trip to Raton, the fire is lit to try and get my OK accuracy to the next level. I have read that my fouling issues could in part be associated with the 3F, so even though I have 3 lbs of it left, I have switched to the Old E I purchased before the world fell apart. I was shooting loads between 68 and 65 grain with the 3f, so I was compressing anywhere from .1 to .3. I am now using 2F Old E, starting with 68 grains in Starline 45/70 cases, compression is .3, not sure if I will be able to shoot these this weekend, but I will be running a few over my chronograph. I am hoping to get good repeatability on my steel target out to 500 this summer. I have been just using a blow tube, but I have ordered a wiping rod to see if it helps with the fouling as temps are hitting triple digits again. Just having fun, and I want to go back North and have another go at the White Buffalo, trying to pull from the incredible vault of knowledge here.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

68 grains of 2f OE is a good place to start. I generally load 70 grains with most grease groove bullets, and use a .030 fiber wad
High Desert Hunter

Thanks Don, I appreciate your advice and the same for the other gents. I should say that I am using standard rifle primers, but my supply is beginning to dwindle, I may have to give magnum rifle primers a try, as I have a few more of them.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Manglem rifle primers might work. But in this day and age a fella has to use what you can find.
My rifles show a preference with OE using either RP 9 1/2 or Br2's. YMMV
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

My current load for my 45-70 is BACO 535 grain Creedmoor 20-1, 67 grains OE 2F, .60 Walters wad & BR2 primers. When I used OE 1.5 I used 70 grains. Hope this helps you get started.
High Desert Hunter

I won't be able to shoot these for a couple of weeks due to obligations, but I will let you all know how this first batch works. I need another break in the heat so I can more bullets cast up.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Old E 2F burns like STD 3F Goex.
I found .350 compression with E 2F to work very well in our .45-70 and .45-90 loads.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
High Desert Hunter

That is good news! I am looking forward to the next outing. Was going to try these at 400 yards, but am thinking that I will stick with 300 since I have good DOPE at that range. I am going to have more questions.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Well, have you gotten around to touching off those OE loads you made up???
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
High Desert Hunter

Sorry all! Yes I have, and it seems to do ok with the same compression as the GOEX. I am thinking about trying a little less compression, and leaving about half of a grease groove exposed. It is still the dingbat on the trigger that is holding this rifle back.

Dave
High Desert Hunter

I was going to take a hiatus, as I am pretty passionate about bird hunting, but I am giving up several hunting days for more trigger time. We took a trip up North a few weekends ago, really wanted to hit the Whittington Center, but as it involved an overnight stay in Albuquerque for a visit to the UNM Cancer Center for my beautiful bride's checkup, I just wasn't comfortable having the rifle it took me 20 years to afford in the Jeep. I have managed at least one day of Sharps shooting every other weekend. I am ready for cooler weather. So far I have shot 1lb of the Old Enysford and have started on number 2. Sadly my lack of attention to detail bit me, I noticed that my D.O.P.E was off, long story short I messed up my alloy, my Brooks Creedmoor bullets went from 535 grains to 522 grains. Fortunately they shoot well, only changed the POI by 3 marks on the staff, and they are all well within my +- 1 grain tolerance. My steel plate is definitely getting a workout, and I am enjoying myself more than I can express. I also recently switched my lube, using Beeswax and Crisco, seems better than the old beeswax and lard recipe, next summer I will use up my supply of Dan's NASA lube he gave me when he first started making it, he's the gent that got me started with casting. Anyhow, even though I don't feel I shall ever be competitive, I am gunning for a shoot or 2 next year, and the Quigley in the next 3 years.

Dave