Greetings, I’m new here.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coffee and Bullets

Greetings, I’m new here.

Post by Coffee and Bullets »

Hello,
Just really getting into BPCR shooting. Shoot muzzleloader and modern for a very long time, but the black powder cartridge bug has bit hard. I was able to get a new to me Shiloh long range express 50-90 with a R H Oates scope out the door at an extremely reasonable price. Rifle itself is 30” 1/22 twist and appears to have been barely shot. Currently I’m setting up for reloading it but this whole BP thing is new since I mostly shot substitutes with sabot bullet rounds. Never casted bullets but I want to try. I look forward to learning a lot from the info on this board and if you have any tidbits of wisdom I’d greatly appreciate it.
Most Sincerely,
Coffee and Bullets
Coltsmoke

Re: Greetings, I’m new here.

Post by Coltsmoke »

Welcome to the sickness, have fun. You will get punched here a few times being new, just thicken your skin a little bit and don't take it personally. We have some here that just wants to be noticed I guess. I will post a link that you can use to do custom searches on the forum and you can find what you are looking for. There is no such thing as a dumb question we've heard them all before so have it. It would help if you included your location.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Welcome aboard,

With the 50-90 you are off to a decent start. My first Shiloh was a 50-90 in the #3 sporter. That wasn't my first Sharps though as I had been shooting several originals for quite a while before. I got that 50-90 Shiloh around 1979 I think. We didn't have the exchange of information back then like we have now and I never did get it to shoot well. I think most of us were "re-inventing the wheel" when it came to black powder cartridges. It shot "passably" but not what I wanted so I teaded it off after 3 or 4 years. I have no idea what the twist was and think I was probably using too light of a bullet for the twist. There are quite a few on this site shooting the 50-90 so you should find what you need.

George
Coffee and Bullets

Post by Coffee and Bullets »

Thank you, and I hail from Southern NJ.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Welcome. I started BPCR 3 years ago and still learn something new every day.
Coltsmoke wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:25 am Welcome to the sickness, have fun. You will get punched here a few times being new, just thicken your skin a little bit and don't take it personally. We have some here that just wants to be noticed I guess.
There are some folks that post here that are world class black powder shooters. Pay attention to your messages. You'll get a LOT of private messages sent by very knowledgeable folks that want you to succeed.

I have shot just about everything ...slingshots, machine guns, and all kinds of shotguns, rifles, bows and pistols...I Like BPCR best right now. My wife picked up a BPCR rifle at 60 and she shoots with me. Just two weeks ago my 13 year old grandson started shooting with us...99 9/10% of folks in BPCR want to help you shoot better.

Everyone has a trick or technique but find out what works best for you and your shooting.

Good luck and post about what you learn with that big boomer !!
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.