BACO bore wipers and their use...

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

BACO bore wipers and their use...

Post by JonnyV »

Hi All, I'm new here and I have a habit of posting ignorant questions LOL....here goes...

For those of you using BACO bore wipers in your black powder shooting.....

1. Do you use MPro7 or something else? I was considering a Ballistol/water mix like 1-5 or 1-4....either one better than the other? I have both products on hand, so could go either way.

2. What's on the patch behind it? Same solution or different? Damp or dry?

3. What do you use to clean your rifle at the end of the day? Same solution or different?

4. Are you avoiding use of petroleum based products in your BP rifle? I am a long time user of Hoppe's, CLP, and Ballistol as my preferred cleaning solvents, but I have read that avoidance of petroleum is a good idea as it can react with BP fouling and create an asphalt like substance...opinions?

5. Is it appropriate to "season" a BP bore? What product/method are you using for that?

Thanks for your help!!!
Dennis Armistead

Re: BACO bore wipers and their use...

Post by Dennis Armistead »

You'll probably get a lot of different opinions on this subject, I use M-Pro 7 on my wipes, lightly damp patch with the same and clean up the bore after shooting with the same. Then a good gun oil before storing. The wipers are a good product.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

1. 10-1 water- cutting oil
2. dry patch
3. same solution, then oil
4. no reason to use Hoppe's or any other brand, it wont do you any good with BP fouling. Maybe the Butches BP stuff?? but water or some Windex with vinegar should be just fine. If your getting leading, turpentine on a tight patch will get it out quick. Or just shoot PP :D
5. If shooting greasers wipe your barrel first with whatever solution you so choose to clean with, then shoot. I would recommend wiping every shot. make sure your lube doesn't have petro products in it either, as it wont absorb the water and keep fouling soft to be wiped out.

AND 6. No question is ignorant!!! we are all here to help!

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Thanks guys! I'm guessing that this all ties in to what lube you run as well (I'm going with GG bullets with SPG for now)...I didn't understand the aversion to petroleum products for BP, but if it's just not effective on BP fouling then I guess that would explain it. That would go for synthetic petroleum stuff too right?

(I'm one of these A******s who always has to know why....)
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Go to Google. Type in (BACO bore wipers Shiloh) Make sure you put Shiloh at the end. It will basically bring up every thread on BACO wipers on this forum.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I use the Shiloh solvent/ lube works very well and appears to stay put and not migrate like gun oil . How long it’s good for I don’t know my rifles get used fairly often and never a speck of anything
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

WHY ?, principally two reasons.

#1.- I noticed shooters winning matches were using BACO Bore Wipers and MPro-7 cleaner.

#2.- I tried it and it worked then better than anything else I have tried so I switched over to it.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

The 'no petroleum' thing isn't the absolute it is touted t be, you can actually happily use quite a lot of petroleum products without any ill effects, some of it even in lubes.... Yes, there are petroleum products that can produce issues, but most work without any issues. Ballistol, containing 'mineral oil', an example of something that works just fine. Vaseline being another example. The late Dan Theodore once explained which type would and wouldn't work, something to do with carbon chain length if I remember well.
And plain water works pretty good with those bore wipers, is cheap, and very effective in dissolving BP fouling. Suggest you start out with water to develop a baseline, and then you can try other things.