Had a grand day shooting

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

High Desert Hunter

Had a grand day shooting

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Sharps Target4.jpg
Had a great time today, wiped between shots, verified the zero setting on the staff for 100 yards. Plumbing the staff made an enormous difference in my shooting. Quite embarrassed by some of the outlying shots, they were due to me forgetting how to dial for wind, something one has to do almost every outing in New Mexico. The Old Eynsford was a huge improvement over the GOEX in terms of fouling, Confidence with my rifle grows with each outing, I couldn't be happier, well, maybe if I had 2! Once again, thank you so much for all of the guidance. Shiloh 1874 34" barrel (tried a few shots offhand), MVA 100 LR rear, MVA spirit globe up front, Starline brass, Old E FFg, 69 & 70 grains .030 Walter's Wad, compressed .350, Steve Brooks Creedmoor weighing in at 535 grains. Velocity averaged 1255 for 10 shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
High Desert Hunter

Re: Had a grand day shooting

I should add there are about 7 or 8 hits from my Super Blackhawk and cast bullets fired at 100 yards.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

The hook is set :lol:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Hunter, what was your point of aim shooting at the plate
Regards
John
High Desert Hunter

Hard to see it, but there was a blue paint blob in the center, was using a 6 o'clock hold on it. After 10 hits, the blue was mostly gone, so I held on the lead splatter.
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Lube 🤔
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
High Desert Hunter

Lube is beeswax/crisco combination.
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Keep a close eye on those last few inches of that 34 inch barrel 😉

I compete with a 40 caliber 32 inch barrel
Blow tubing can be a challenge with a marginal lube

Wiping presents other challenges in these longer barrels

Keep safe
High Desert Hunter

Thank you! When I first started shooting this rifle, I did notice that the last 2 inches seemed to have harder fouling and a bit of leading, this has gotten significantly better with the current lube. Blowtubing does OK here during the cooler months, being full of hot air, I seemed to have decent fouling control, but this first time wiping between shots seems to be a much, much better solution. I have considered having Shiloh trim a few inches off of the barrel, but I have heard it can affect the accuracy. I need a ton more trigger time with this rifle, currently I am alternating between my Sharps and a rifle I recently set up for long range (1688 yards so far), the other rifles in the safe have been pretty much left alone, my shooting Bud only shoots "high power rifle", so I am trying to get him to invest in a BPCR. I am battling the heat casting to get my bullet supply up, and I have been buying more cases as I can, I have a lot of 45-70 brass, as I have 2 other 45-70s, but it is a mixture collected over the last 20 years. Bottom line, I am doing a lot of reading (started with the oldest posts here working my way forward) trying to gain knowledge, but none of that will replace good old trigger time, it just reduces the frustration it takes to gain efficient competence.
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Have fun, remember when ya get dialed in on good loads, question the shooters performance and not the ammo 😉
High Desert Hunter

That is excellent advice, first given to me 45 years ago! When a few of the folks here post a load they say is good, if it doesn't shoot for me, I first look at what I am doing differently, which components are different, and finally how is my shooting style and equipment different.