Barrel Length

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Barrel Length

Post by Glen Ring »

What impact does barrel length have on the velocity of a Black Powder Cartridge? It seems that BPCR rifles commonly have 30 inch barrels ( or longer)
and I know about increased sight radius.

I know with smokeless powders, slower burning powder in a longer barrel usually gets more velocity.

I have not found any study/experiment on the topic of barrel length and Black powder velocity.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
George Babits

Re: Barrel Length

Post by George Babits »

There were several studies done with that back in the 1970s, although they deal with muzzle loaders. One I can think of is the old Lyman "Black Powder Handbook" published in 1975. Mostly with round balls, but some data with conical bullets too. I think there might be some in the older Dixie catelogs as well.

George
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I think I bought a couple of those old books a few weeks ago, but haven't read them yet....I'll find them tonight and dive in.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

We done it with 2 45-110's, my 26" hunting rifle and a buddies 34" express years ago, there was only around a 4-8 fps difference between the two.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Thank you sir...That answered that question. I have been looking at a 45-70 with a shorter barrel and now I know I won't be giving up much.
axman

Post by axman »

Kirk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:32 am We done it with 2 45-110's, my 26" hunting rifle and a buddies 34" express years ago, there was only around a 4-8 fps difference between the two.
That 26” would be a lot nicer to carry than the 34”.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I suspected that Glen but did not know for a fact that with black powder it makes a lot less difference in barrel length than it would with smokeless.
I have a .58 Buffalo Hunter rifle that shoots a 620 grain Maxi bullet with 150 grains of 2F Goex out of a 26 inch barrel. The chronograph says 1400 fps and it appears that the whole charge is consumed in that short barrel. Course the recoil will knock you into next Tuesday but it is accurate and efficient for a muzzle loading rifle.
This is good news to me , this thread , because I still want to make a Gemmer in 50-70 from a long nose Trapdoor 68 action and a shorter barrel on the end of that rather long action would make the rifle much more manageable .
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I Looked at a shorter 45-70 and wondered about it. This is good news to me also.