Delrin Bore Wipers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

patchbox

Delrin Bore Wipers

Post by patchbox »

I had been using the BACO bore wipers which have worked well for me; however, I was looking for a way to create a bore wiper that didn't have to rely on a felt disk. Here is what I came up with. The small o-ring on the front is slipped on over the patch to secure it - I use 10:1 water soluble oil. They work extremely well for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GrumpyBear

Re: Delrin Bore Wipers

Post by GrumpyBear »

They look good. Do you turn them on a lathe ?
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Yes, these are lathe turned delrin rod. Used 7/16” rod stock. These are .45 caliber - went through a few iterations- made some with a stainless steel 1/16” dowel pin at the tip - kinda like a spear tip jag but determined it wasn’t really necessary. I also reuse all my patches and clean them up with a 1:1 bleach/water solution when I get home. 1/2 soak and shake the container a bit turns em white again. I find I can reuse the patches about 10 times until they get too frayed on the edges. I don’t own a .40 cal but I’m guessing that diameter reductions of .050 on all diameters would work plus finding the right size o-rings. The BACO wipers use a hard durometer o-ring - I used a soft silicone o-ring, 50 shore “A” - I think the softer o-rings squeeze into the rifling a bit better.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

*meant to say 1/2 hour soak
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

I also follow it with a patched 3/8” diameter delrin rod. Cleans out the bore very well and chamber is dry.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

The large diameter end with the o-ring is .4375” diameter- o-ring groove diameter is .280 x .100 wide. The shank is .300” diameter - tip is .375 and reduced shank area is .250” (this provides a place for the small o-ring to hold down the patch. The .375” diameter tip and .300 diameter shank were experimented in different diameters - larger diameters were much more difficult to push through but too small on the shank wouldn’t press the wet patch tight enough against the bore - my final diameters seem to work well. .375” jag end is .250” long - longer or shorter on tip length also affects patch tightness.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

That’s a really awesome idea! Any plans to make/sell them?
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Hi Jonny,

Originally I had no plans to sell - they were for personal use but a friend of mine said I should give it a try so I'm open to selling them. Currently machined on 8" swing manual lathe - I can spit one out every 15 minutes so it is a rather slow process. I have been looking at some small benchtop CNC lathes - that would lower the manufacturing time considerably.

Eric
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

I also made up a 3-piece delrin pusher rod to follow the bore wiper with a patch - 3 sections, screw together, phenolic oval knob and a delrin jag at the end - for me, I found that using a 3/8" delrin rod with a patch was pretty hard to push through although I've seen others using a plain 3/8" delrin rod for the pushing. My delrin pusher rod has a machined delrin jag that screws on the tip of the rod - 8-32 threads and will accept other cleaning jags as well since 8-32 is a common thread size for a few brass jags - Pro-Shot brass jags, at least mine, have male 8-32 threads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Each section is 15" long - a compact unit so you don't have to lug around a 45" long rod.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

The large diameter on the jag shank is smaller than 3/8" so it doesn't hang up on the rifle crown when you pull it back through.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Very nice set up !
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Those ROCK !!!!
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Thanks!
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

If you’re selling I’m a customer…I need a hundred jags and a rod….