Delrin Bore Wipers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

J.B.

Re: Delrin Bore Wipers

Post by J.B. »

Looks a top idea and well executed. Yes its a variation on what already exists but its a sound idea. The '15 mins a wiper body' may get tedious for long production runs though. Well done. :)

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Hi J.B.,
Thanks - yes, 15 minute cycle time will get old real quick. I have been looking a small benchtop CNC lathes as an option. I’ve always wanted one so if these don’t work out it won’t be much of a loss. Sherline now offers a small CNC lathe with ballscrews. An option with this is a 3C collet chuck head with a collet closer. If I can get the cycle time down to about 3 minutes that would be good.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Patchbox,

Another item you could tackle on that CNC would be scope caps for Fecker, Unertl & Lyman scopes. I'm sure we could come up with lots of items so you could become part of the "cottage industry". I've been "punching" out Browning front sight spirit-tube end caps for sale on my 8X20 bench lathe. A CNC would be nice but I'll never have enough work to justify one & don't have the room in my workshop for another piece of equipment.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Hi Wayne,

Yes, there a quite a few things to make once I get the CNC lathe up and running. I just ordered a Masso G3 controller but it is a month or so out. I’m assuming they don’t have it in stock due to the global computer chip shortage. Sherline has a small CNC ready lathe with ballscrews - lead time on that is 8 weeks so it will be a while until I get everything up and running. I had to do a double take on your lathe picture - thought you had snuck into my shop and took a picture. That is the same 8” swing lathe that I have.

Regards,
Eric
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

So I tried these today and I really liked them. I went to the range to test my home made lube in warmer conditions, (93 degrees with 34% humidity) and I had my BACO bore wipers along and I had 10 of the delrin wipers from Eric.

I fired 60 rounds of ammo basically in one string. I took my time about it, but I shot pretty well straight through, minus one bathroom break. The delrin wipers were used starting at round 45, and they seemed to get the crud out of the barrel just as good as the ones from Buffalo. Here's a couple photos....

When I got home and put my rifle in the soft jaw vice to clean the barrel, all I really noticed was a little bit of leading in the last inch of the barrel. My barrel is 34" long. No problem really, it came right out.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Mine arrived today and I'm impressed with the fit and attention to detail. My wife and I promised we'd never be wipers...but this looks easier than blow tubing. We'll see this weekend.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Glen,

What solution are you using for the cleaning? I am using a water soluble oil at a 10:1 ratio with decent results. .45-70, BACO elliptical bullet, my alloy weighing in at 520 gns so a slightly harder alloy than 20:1. Bore diameter paper patched with Seth Cole 55w, 75gns regular Goex ffg, Winchester Large Rifle Primer, .060" veggie fiber wad. 3-shot 1" group at 100 yds, upper right hand bullet hole was from another target I had overlaid on this one.

Best Regards,

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Eric
We shoot mostly Pyrodex. Water with a little vinegar and it cleans right up. One of the guys I have shot with told me he shoots dirty...no blow tube and no wiping between shots so we tried that just for grins. Our 200 yard groups off sticks stayed in a pretty good group for about 15 shots.

We shoot several sports but refused to wipe after every shot . Jeanne said she would QUIT if we added to the list of things to do ...but your system is so well thought out we are going to try it. We were afraid, with the old patch and rod system, that we might possibly get distracted and leave a patch in the bore. We both agree with your system we can wipe after every shot or at least after every 5 shots. We're only AAA shooters but would like to get more consistent at 400 and 500 meters. I think a cleaner bore will help us with that.

We're slowly but surely working this BP stuff out.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Eric
You rock sir.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Here's a video I did this last weekend with the wipers Patchbox makes and the BACO bore wipers too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HffFXGqyonM
hedbanger

Post by hedbanger »

How do I get my hands on some of these wipers and rod?? Are they still offered??
Thanks
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Hedbanger,

I still make them, .45 and .40 cal. - still make the rods as well. I have a few rods left in stock and about 30-40 of the .45 cal wipers. If you need.40 cal wipers I will need to machine some up. I’m in a crunch right now to finish a batch of 1874 cartridge cam tools to fill some orders so if you need .40 cal it might be a couple of weeks before I can start machining some.

PM me for more info if you need it.

Regards,
Eric
Drahopa7

Post by Drahopa7 »

Made my delrin rod a 2-piece this weekend.
I will grab some 7/16 delrin.
Do you have a quick spec on what you turned ?
Like to create a few of my own.
A friend offered to trade me a 50-70 trapdoor 10 years ago.
What is a 50-70, I asked wide eyed!
I am still running down that rabbit hole..

Marc M
Houston, Tx
TAA

Post by TAA »

Is it common between shots to do two wet and one dry with greasers? Our humidity here in Minnesota quite high recently. Or is the more common practice to use a blow tube?

Thanks!

Tom
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

TAA,
Try them both to see if one works better than the other for you.
I gave up on the blow tube a looong time ago. It just did not work for me.
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT